We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Counting days until first visit

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
126 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Counting days until first visit

Leaving cold snowy NY for Zihua on Feb. 1 for first visit. Staying 4 weeks in Zihua and 2 weeks in Ixtapa to get the feel of both places. Now that it is starting to get real I have a couple questions:

We like to snorkel, brought our own gear to PV last year and didn't use it because water was too cold and/or choppy. Should we bring it to Zihua? Will probably go on tour, but would also like to see what's underwater wherever we are. We chose Zihua this time partly hoping the water will be warmer. We have rented a condo near Madera beach in the Bahia Suites building.

Are there public tennis courts in Zihua, maybe even someplace my husband can find a game with someone better than I am? Our condo in Ixtapa (BVG) has courts on property.

Can't wait! The sun just came out and the snow is kinda pretty, but it is COLD. Thanks for the help.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
126 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Counting days until first visit

One question I forgot-Feb. 9 will be our 45th wedding anniv. Where would be a special place to celebrate with romantic atmosphere and good food?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Counting days until first visit

Water warmer than PV by a lot.

Bring your own snorkel at least. Snorkeling is just fair especially if you have ever been to the Caribbean.

You will love the area. It's like PV except smaller, far better beaches, far fewer beach peddlers. You will not see as many in 6 weeks that you see a hour in PV on Playa Muertos. That's no Lie!

Not aware of any public courts but some hotels will rent time.

Special occasion? Villa del Selva. Fab sunsets & very good if expensive food.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,994 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Counting days until first visit

The ocean will be warmer than in PV. Or should be!

We always bring our own snorkel gear to Zihua and get a lot of use out of it, even on short vacations, so I say pack it. :) There are a few places that have good snorkeling, as peddlar said, it is nothing like the Caribbean, but quite good for this coast. We like Las Gatas and Playa Coral on Isla Ixtapa the best.

I am very jealous you get such a nice long stay there...I hope you love it.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
126 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Counting days until first visit

Thanks for the advice, we'll make room for snorkel gear. I looked up Villa del Selva-it looks fantastic!

5. Re: Counting days until first visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo