We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 2/15 - 2/23 It Gets Better Every Time!

Lynbrook, New York
Level Contributor
154 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 2/15 – 2/23 It Gets Better Every Time!

It amazes me; the first time we went to Zih, I was a bit put off driving into town and to LaRopa. Centro struck me as run down and since we stay at the end of La Ropa, the shabbiness of the rocky part of the beach concerned me. Now, years later, the minute we arrive in town, I feel instantly at ease and at home (more so than I do when I arrive at my permanent home). I love to see the families hanging out in the shade, enjoying the beach and their time together. We don’t do enough of that in this country, maybe because we have too much.

This was out fifth trip to Zih and I don’t want to make this a typical trip report, reporting day by day. Our beach days (5 of them) are like Groundhog Day; we have a delicious breakfast on the veranda at our home always from home, Casa Don Francisco. No later than 10:30 we are at La Perla for a day of relaxation, being served sangria and beer by Miguel our favorite waiter. We spent two afternoons and one full day in town, walking in and out of shops, enjoying cocktails and snacks in between shopping. Perhaps it was the days and times we chose to go in but until Friday, it seemed quieter than usual.

Our new adventure was a day in Barra de Potosi, kayaking through the mangroves, exploring a desolate beach and learning about the area, locals and even some political issues while having lunch on the beach. It was an amazing experience and day and I would highly recommended it to anyone physically capable of kayaking. We used Fredrique from Meroadventure, who came highly recommended and did not disappoint.

We always stay at Casa Don Franciso and have gown close with Erica who owns/runs the hotel. We love the privacy (there are only eight rooms) and that the grounds are immaculate. It’s middle of the road in terms of pricing. Please see some of my other posts about the hotel for more information and pictures.

I’ll give some quick reviews of where we ate and drank.

La Perla: While there are many places where the use of lounge chairs are free, we always pay the $4 and go to La Perla because the chairs (and bathroom) are new, clean and there is actually space between you and your neighbor. As for the food, it’s okay, not bad, not fabulous but good. The large shrimp cocktail is to die for. We also usually eat dinner there twice, the night we are arrive (because it is easy) and on Wednesday because it is chile rellenos night and they are fabulous!

Rossy- We pass it every day, my husband had always wanted to try it and everyone raves about it on the two message boards. My husband liked it a lot and would go back again, I was less impressed. I found the menu to be limited but what I ordered was good. Every customer was either a snow bird or a tourist and other than being in an open air restaurant with the waves crashing beneath us, I could have been anywhere in the states and that isn’t my idea of Mexico or vacation.

Elvira (in Centro)- If we lived here, we would be regulars. We stopped in for drinks and a snack late one afternoon and went back for lunch another. The coconut shrimp was to amazing and my husband could have had lunch for the week when he ordered the tacos. The waiters were fun and courteous. It’s a great people watching place too.

Coconuts – is by far one of our favorite restaurants and we went twice this trip. We live just outside NYC and to get two appetizers’, two main courses (one being lobster!) and have a bottle of wine for $160 is a steal (to us). My husband has a slight issue with his tuna on the second visit because they didn’t cook it well enough for him. He really isn’t a fish eater and it was thick piece, so even when they took it back, it didn’t come out right the second time. We switched meals and he was thrilled with my meal and I loved his. The manager was quick to make it up to us and sent us two of the special margaritas.

Agava- another first for us and we were pleasantly pleased. The food was very good and in our opinion very, very inexpensive. It is cash only though.

Kau Kan- this is my favorite restaurant- anywhere! I love the setting although once the sun sets, you need a flashlight to see the menus. The service and food is outstanding and again, a meal with two appetizers’, two entrees and bottle of wine for $120 is cheaper than a night at our local pub.

Il Mare – After days and nights of eating fish, I always need something else and that is the night we go to Il Mare. We are both of Italian decent and while it isn’t our mother’s macaroni, it’s damn good.

Every night when I go to bed, I think about my days on the beach or late afternoons on our balcony, it is such a nice way to fall asleep.

Mentioned in this post
Barra de Potosi
Barra de Potosi
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Hotel Rossy
Hotel Rossy
22 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Coconuts
Coconuts
571 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Kau Kan
Kau Kan
121 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Ristorante Il Mare
Ristorante Il Mare
471 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Carmelitas Cafe
££ - £££, Seafood, Mexican, Latin
Tentaciones Restaurant
££££, International
La Terracita
££ - £££, Mexican, Seafood, International
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 2/15 – 2/23 It Gets Better Every Time!

What a great report! You are definitely "doing it right". Thank you for sharing your wonderful vacation with us. For me, I love reading about other folks falling in love with Zihua.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 2/15 – 2/23 It Gets Better Every Time!

Sigh................loved your informative post...you put me there!!

Sounds like you had a great trip and it's so much fun to try places that are new to you each trip.

Tick tock...start planning for your trip #6

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 2/15 – 2/23 It Gets Better Every Time!

Thanks for the report. I agree...each time we travel to Z it feels EVEN more amazing than the last. I think this will be trip nine for us.....8 days and holding my breath!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 2/15 – 2/23 It Gets Better Every Time!

We will be making our first trip in a couple of weeks, and I cannot wait. Everytime I read one of these amazing reports, I wonder what took us so long to decide to go to Zihuatanejo. Thank you for re-enforcing our decision. i can't wait to post our great review!!

Mentioned in this post
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 2/15 – 2/23 It Gets Better Every Time!

We will be making our first trip in a couple of weeks, and I cannot wait. Everytime I read one of these amazing reports, I wonder what took us so long to decide to go to Zihuatanejo. Thank you for re-enforcing our decision. i can't wait to post our great review!!

Mentioned in this post
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
848 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 2/15 – 2/23 It Gets Better Every Time!

Thank you for sharing your trip, so nice to read on a cold winter day and then just smile.... Been to many of the places you mention, brings make wonderful memories.

7. Re: Trip Report 2/15 – 2/23 It Gets Better Every Time!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:27