We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report- 6 weeks in Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
126 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
trip report- 6 weeks in Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa

Sadly leaving tomorrow and want to post a few thoughts/memories while they are still fresh. This was our first time here and as I have posted earlier, we rented a condo on La Madera in Zihuatanejo the first 4 weeks and one at the BVG MARINA in Ixtapa the last 2 weeks.

We loved the authenticity, charm and beauty of Zihua. Our ability to feel we had formed some real connection with some of the wonderful local people despite our poor Spanish was a highlight. We met them as they were selling us something-food, trinkets, a catamaran ride, etc, but they were able to raise that relationship to a different level with their trust and warmth as we saw them daily.

And we have also had a fantastic time in Ixtapa. It is a different experience, definitely not as intimate, but who can complain about a gorgeous view and swimming pool of our dreams.

The buses and taxis between the two places are plentiful. Restaurants are good to excellent everywhere and there is much to do in both places if you get tired of loafing about and just enjoying one sunny day after another.

Safety has been a concern, but I can say that we have felt at ease most of the time.

I read another forum with some information that worried me, like a story about people being robbed on the Ixtapa bike path. We rented bikes anyway and twice had a terrific ride from the Marina to Playa Linda and back. I was a little nervous on the first ride, but saw other riders, walkers and even a safety patrol. So, as others have posted, be careful, be smart, but don't be afraid to come and have a great time.

Of course there is much more....I'd be glad to answer any questions. Adios.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report- 6 weeks in Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa

One of the best things this year was meeting Denis & you!

Be Safe Amiga!

Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report- 6 weeks in Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa

Thanks for a great report. The incident on the bike path happened five years ago! The bike path has been renovated and cleaned, its great and very popular. I am glad you overcame your fear.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report- 6 weeks in Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa

Thanks for sharing your wonderful times with us. So glad you formed some of those "special friendships" in Zihua. Those types of encounters are our most precious memories.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,020 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report- 6 weeks in Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa

Great to hear of yet another happy visitor!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
126 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report- 6 weeks in Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa

We are home and digging out of piles of mail, and clothes to unpack. At least there's no snow! Thanks again to all on this forum who made our stay so special with your answers to my questions and all the great ideas I used from your sharing with others.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report- 6 weeks in Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa

Thanks for the info Snorkel...I agree it's the fond memories of meeting locals and the friendships created over a stay that leaves you with a warm feeling when you get home.

Time to start planning your next trip.

7. Re: trip report- 6 weeks in Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo