We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
845 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

Sunwing offers both hotels out of Calgary again for 2015 . We have stayed in Ixtapa on many past visits, but love the vibe of Zihuatanejo . Like Irma's location to town, shopping and restaurants, but concerned about beach water quality. Although Villa Mexicana is further, we love La Ropa beach and some of the great restaurants near by. I would really appreciate comments on some pros and cons for both locations. If we were not on a budget would have loved to book a condo, but airfare from Winnipeg is still steep. We are beach lovers and spend hours a day swimming in the ocean. Thank You in advance for any tips....

Edited: 18 May 2014, 19:37
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

You have already identified some of the differences. Irma will have great ocean views because it is up high...which means you have to go DOWN to get to the beach. Villas Mexicana is right ON the beach- so you will definitely have an ocean view, but from beach level. From Villas Mex it is only about 20-25 minute walk to centro- or a quick bus or taxi ride, so maybe not quite as remote as you might think. La Madera, which is close to the Irma is a great little neighbourhood to walk around with lots of charming restaurants to sample. La Ropa is great for morning and sunset walks. Of course when you stay in one area, you can easily visit the other. I guess it just comes down to personal preference...where you would like to be "home base" and where you are happy to "visit". I think you really can't go wrong with either choice.

I hope this helps somewhat. Isn't great to have such terrific choices???

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
845 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

Thank for reply, we are familiar with where both hotels are located but never checked them out. Most of our beach time has been on La Ropa and Las Gatas . If I am not mistaken Irma does not have a beach club as such to lounge on the beach.... Having quick access to restaurants that are reasonable for breakfast and snacks would be wonderful. I have to say we spend a lot of our beach days away from Ixtapa at Rossy's.

I know a condo would be idle to share with our best friends, then we coiuld stock up on things for breakfast and drinks. I love buying fresh fruit and snacks at the open market. How is the water quality at both beaches, I know their has been a problem with the run off from the lagoon. Hope to be there during the guitar festival. Linda this time I am bringing your book with me and hope you will sign it. I'll buy the drinks.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

hahaha...of course I will sign your book- my pleasure. Would be great to meet you too. I have to say that I don't go to La Madera very often, since La Ropa is only a few steps from my condo, but I have a friend who goes there quite a bit. She says it is usually fine. The run off that you mentioned would be associated with rain- not usual at the time you will be here. No, I believe there is no "beach club" at the Irma.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

Both Great choices. I haven't "stayed" at V/M but have dined there several times and checked out a few rooms for the future. Both places are a bit "dated" as far as today's standards but both are exceptionally clean.

Hotel Irma is where I have stayed 2x and loved it. Mostly because of it's proximity to town and lots of dining choices really close by and the view and because I got it for about $15.00 a night cheaper. VM is great because it's LITERALLY steps from the pool/dining to the beach. You say you are a beach person ...you don't get much closer than here. And there is great dining at other places just steps away as you well know since you have been to Rossy's in the past.

but...as stated...it's easy to get from point a to b in zihua whether walking, taking a taxi (both places have taxi stands just steps from the front door) and the bus in just on the street by both of them and super cheap also and runs from early a.m. till dusk or so.

But..the great thing is they are sister properties so "IF" they are not at full capacity you are allowed to go and use each other facilities. Inquire at the front desk of your hotel. Both places are easy to walk to from the other provided you don't have mobility Issues. We walked from Hotel Irma often to Laropa. We actually felt like we "earned"our drinks/calories :)

Choices choices....both are super places imo...have fun!! Good luck w/ your research.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

I would think that your choice comes down to Up High for a view Irma, On The Beach for the water V.M.

I think that your second to last sentence should make for your decision.

Keith

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
845 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

Thank You to all for your posts. If budget works out our first choice will be to rent a condo with our friends.

VM would be my first choice due to the beach access on my favourite beach, at least narrowed that down. I know both are a little dated, just a little concerned for my friends. I am now on my search for a 2 bedroom condo, wow there are some lovely ones....

Much Thanks Irene

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

You are right- there are some wonderful condos...more choices! The ones up on the hillside of course have marvelous views of the bay. Ours, and 1 other are just steps from the beach. That sort of sums up La Ropa. Of course there are also great places in La Madera. Just a word of advice- not to leave it too late. I know that many of the units for rent here in our complex are almost totally reserved for next season already.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

Dreamer...we stayed at

VRBO Listing #92386

at CVM complex above laropa. Harriet was a dream to work with. She has other rental properties available too...any from her are outstanding. Great lady.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,454 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

We have also stayed at Casa Que ve el Mar, twice... and LOVED both our stays there. Great complex, amazing views, the pools are wonderful.

This is the two bedroom we stayed in, 'Marlin House' (also listed on VRBO):

http://www.casadeaguja.com/

Out of the Irma and Villa Mexicana, our choice would be the Villa Mexicana, we like the La Ropa area, it is quieter and we would prefer to be right on the beach. But the Irma is great too, we stayed there our first time to Zihua and it was fine. Nothing fancy but the views are great and the close proximity to town a huge bonus for those who like to wander into town 1-2 times a day.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

This is very helpful. My husband and I were deciding between 3 hotels, these two and Catalina Beach for our first visit to Zihua. We actually ended up deciding on Catalina Beach Hotel but haven't booked. Does anyone have any experience with this hotel? We plan on spending most, if not all of our time on the beach, trying the local food and visiting the town. Would Villa Mexicana be a better choice?

Edited: 20 July 2014, 16:12