We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
848 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

Sunwing offers both hotels out of Calgary again for 2015 . We have stayed in Ixtapa on many past visits, but love the vibe of Zihuatanejo . Like Irma's location to town, shopping and restaurants, but concerned about beach water quality. Although Villa Mexicana is further, we love La Ropa beach and some of the great restaurants near by. I would really appreciate comments on some pros and cons for both locations. If we were not on a budget would have loved to book a condo, but airfare from Winnipeg is still steep. We are beach lovers and spend hours a day swimming in the ocean. Thank You in advance for any tips....

Edited: 18 May 2014, 19:37
Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Villa Mexicana Hotel
Villa Mexicana Hotel
331 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Amuleto
Amuleto
#1 of 79 hotels in Zihuatanejo
Tentaciones Hotel
Tentaciones Hotel
#3 of 79 hotels in Zihuatanejo
Aura del Mar Hotel
Aura del Mar Hotel
#6 of 79 hotels in Zihuatanejo
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,996 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

We have not stayed at the Catalina or the Villa Mexicana, but stayed at the Irma and checked out the other two.

I think of the three, we would also pick the Catalina. Great views. A little more walking up and down stairs than the Villa Mexicana, but the views make up for it. Go and enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Catalina Beach Resort
Catalina Beach Resort
199 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Villa Mexicana Hotel
Villa Mexicana Hotel
331 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Hotel Irma
Hotel Irma
475 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

The most obvious difference between the two is that there are many stairs from Catalina down to the beach, and remember you have to go back up at the end of your beach time. Villas Mexicana is right on the beach-no stairs involved.

Mentioned in this post
Catalina Beach Resort
Catalina Beach Resort
199 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

for beatriz....

I personally would not choose the Catalina to stay at as it's got a ton of stairs. We walk up from Laropa on them to get to "happy hour' at the sunset bar and are usually dripping when we get there.

Also...might want to read some of the reviews on the Catalina. When I was researching it a bit ago there were some rooms w/o air (that's a no no for me) and also many of them were pretty 'dated" from the sounds of it.

if you are super fit...go for it. I have bad knees and would hands down choose VM because it's a stones throw from the room to the beach and very few stairs. Quick back to my room if I want to sit in there for awhile and cool of or had forgotten something etc....

Good luck w/ your research.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 18:25
Mentioned in this post
Catalina Beach Resort
Catalina Beach Resort
199 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
winneconne,wi
Level Contributor
304 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

A Linda Vista Suite at the Catalina would be my choice. Great views from your Suite. Yes there are a lot of stairs, but to us it was well worth it. Try www.bestday.com for hotel rates.

Mentioned in this post
Catalina Beach Resort
Catalina Beach Resort
199 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Oregon
Level Contributor
425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

Not Hijacking the thread but I have been between those and Aura myself. VM I sort of crossed off the list because it seems much more family oriented with more kids(we are late 40s-No kids). Perhaps spots with more stairs have less families that want to deal with them?

16. Re: Hotel Irma or Villa Mexicana both within same price category

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 07:16