We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in the area.......Safety warnings/issues ?

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in the area.......Safety warnings/issues ?

OK, side note from other post.

My Husband and I were in the Tulum area in April, we got a rental car and logged over 500 miles just driving and seeing the ruins and country.

We were apprehensive at first but quickly overcame that fear.

How is driving in this area?

(p.s) I might invite him if he can get away from work! (only if we can drive! LOL

Just seeing the ruins and towns in the area, maybe an over night in a smaller town. I can do my homework about safety but I want to ask YOU!

While were at it, where would you drive to sight see?

Thanks again!

Sunseeeker

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving in the area.......Safety warnings/issues ?

I was just thinking back 4 years, and remembering when we were planning our 3 1/2 month RV trip in Europe- for the entire previous year I was reading everything I could find, making various reservations, and chatting with nice folks on trip advisor when I had a question. All the safety warnings I read about and received on the internet! At one point I remember saying that if travellers were to take all the advice out there, no one would ever leave their homes! Again...it's mostly about perspective...and keeping a positive one! Everyone has a different comfort level, and looks for different things in their vacations. We all have choices.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving in the area.......Safety warnings/issues ?

I was just thinking back 4 years, and remembering when we were planning our 3 1/2 month RV trip in Europe- for the entire previous year I was reading everything I could find, making various reservations, and chatting with nice folks on trip advisor when I had a question. All the safety warnings I read about and received on the internet! At one point I remember saying that if travellers were to take all the advice out there, no one would ever leave their homes! Again...it's mostly about perspective...and keeping a positive one! Everyone has a different comfort level, and looks for different things in their vacations. We all have choices.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving in the area.......Safety warnings/issues ?

Pretty good information here guys. TY! IF not just for me but any one that wants to travel by rental car in this area.

I might just hire that local guy for the day and keep the money in his Family and get a better experience. Bi lingual, and history. Pay the guy right and he can take us to safe off the beaten path views! (YES)

juanrojo: Good memory. Yes, I did A LOT of research when we went to Tulum in April. We had such a great time and that poor car.... it took us everywhere. Even one place we might not should have been. But we were sure the road lead to the beach and it did, only the government had blocked beach access, only to find out once we got back to our Hotel that that entrance was blocked because it was part of San Kian.

We fell in love with the freedom of going by car our first time ever in Mexico while in Tulum Akumal area. I had seen there are Ruins that have been discovered in this area, would love to see them and maybe visit them again in years to come to see the Ruins come alive.

I also read a lovely TR (name escapes me) about someone renting a jeep and finding a fantastic hidden gem of a beach. These are the types of things we LOVE, now that our driving wings have gotten wet.

As always sing the word "TOPAS" upon arrival so the driver knows... :O) And there are LOTS of them in Tulum.

So, Even today I don't know if my Husband can get away from work. He said he would give me an answer by Friday.

Thank you to all who have taken the time to answer the thread.

Personally I thought it was a good update to your Forum. :O)

BC
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving in the area.......Safety warnings/issues ?

BTW, there are always more restrictions put on diplomatic staff than need to be on regular visitors/tourists. This is the case everywhere in the world. Embassy (and Consulate) staff can be targeted, so must be more vigilant and also as they are employees, their employer is responsible for their safety.

I worked for Foreign Affairs, I remember one guy begging to be allowed to remain at his posting in Guatemala city. He had witnessed a "hit" (car in front of them) and was ordered home to Ottawa for that reason.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,768 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving in the area.......Safety warnings/issues ?

We have driven from Zihua to Patzcuaro many times..and also used a driver the last 2 times simply because there were 6 of us and it was cheaper then renting 2 cars. We stay in la Barra de Potosi and don't keep a rental car once we are there. We've used Thrifty for rental with no problems. The cuota between Z and Patzcuaro is fine and also driving around Patzcuaro and to the small villages is very doable and we have always felt safe. We don't drive at night. You could easily spend 3 or 4 days in Patzcuaro and use it as a base to visit Mroelia, Santa Clara del Cobre, Tzintzuntzan, Capula and also Quiroga ( for carnitas!) We first rented and drove to the area in 2007 and have gone very year since. The only difference we have noticed is sometimes there are more Federales on the route, the road between Z and where you join the cuota has improved immensely, and the police road blocks that formerly were by La Union are gone. We expect to do the drive again next January although may be one way this time as thinking of flying into Leon and then making our way down to Z.

The ruins at la Chole are quite good and the new museum there is excellent.

The beach at Valentin is well worth getting to.. no swimming there but quite lovely and off the beaten track

Whatever you do don't rent from hertz! ( we had a bad experience as have several others over the years.)

16. Re: Driving in the area.......Safety warnings/issues ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2015, 07:15