We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive restaurants

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NorthWest
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive restaurants

We had the very best food at the economy resturants in the little walkway off of Bravo. The last one was our favorite - RICOMAR - great enchilada' rojos. Two ate for 65 peso's.... another night for 98 peso's....and it was better than any other restaurant!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

My favorite place known unofficially as Pozole alley. I never spend over 30 pesos there, with a soft drink, one Nacatamale & a plate of Enchilada Verde.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

peddler, is that on the left side of the road heading towards ixtapa?

a largish place that you go down some stairs into a big dining room?

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

pozole alley is located between calle Bravo and the street that runs closest to the main beach.

If you take Nicolas Bravo street from cinco de Mayo ( flea market area ) almost at the other end of Bravo you will find an alley on the right side of the street, the first place is called--Cenaduria Antelia, go into the alley and you will find other cenadurias, these are independent little restaurants that look like they are all one businness.

If you go to the other end of the alley, you end up at the museo and the very end of playa Municipal.

Across from cenaduria Antelia there is Cenaduria El Mango, this cenaduria came first and was very popular, then came Antelia and it became the main destination for a lot of locals, the food is basic and inexpensive hence the name of cenaduria.

The name cenaduria comes from the word cena (dinner )traditionalyplaces that bear this name are often only open for cena.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

Coyuca's Info is Excellent. I would only add that The Ricomar is IMO the best one, but all are good.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

We plan to try this area in February...we have stuck close to our hotel at meal times otherwise...last 3 trips.

Should we worry about any health issues eating at these small local favorites?

We would like to not stay at AI's in the future and we're hoping to get some of these paranoid issues of eating out, out of our mind!

Can any of you tell me what it is called to order my food with the co-coa flavored sauce?

Thanks!

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

I absolutely adore Casa Montaz on the little callejon (alleyway) near the Cine Paraiso. They serve up some of the best Tex-Mex south of the border. They have a lunch special everyday for 40 pesos and dinner is never over $6.00 US. They also have one dollar beers and FRESH chips and salsa. Their enchiladas, burritos and crispy tacos are all to die for. Chicken with green sauce is also another favorite. YUM-o! I eat there at least once a day:)

I also found another great restaurant, Don Memo's which is right near Casa Montaz restaurant. This place is next to a new sushi restaurant (also great! try the tuna rolls with wasabi!). Don Memo's is a little Italian place with 50 peso pasta plates, 30 pesos salads and 90 peso rib-eye steaks with pasta and fresh veggies. Great food, great prices. 30 peso glasses of wine also.

And another excellent inexpensive place is Mi Chayito which is one the same street as Pizza Loca, across from the Similares farmacia- next to a laundry place. They serve up some pretty authentic Chinese and Mexican specialties at good prices. The huachinango with mango sauce is great, same with the sweet and sour shrimp. Good egg rolls with homemade plum sauce... good prices on other shrimp and seafood and Mexican plates.

Pollo Feliz (a chain) still has the best grilled chickens. Excellent, fresh and tasty- they also have rockin' quesdaillas, something about thr cheese they use that makes them different....best around and BIG! take a chicken back to your hotel, eat on the balcony and enjoy.

El Mediterreneo is my favorite on the beach for a more expensive (but not outrageous) meal. Julian the owner is a fabulous host, ask to meet him and get his recommendations of the night and wine selection. I always get the red snapper there (huachinango) which is cooked to perfection. His lasagne, pastas and shrimp are also great and the tuna shishimi is fabulous! Even if I did not have dinner there, I usually go later for a capuchino. He has a limited dessert selection, but the chocolate mousse and flan are great, as well as the coconut ice cream. (I get a taste of my dinner mates desserts, so now I have tried them all.:)

I think I gained 10 pounds this last trip!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

mole is the chocolate flavored sauce

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

Hey Brenda! With only 5 tables Menos is supposed to be a secret! LOL. Actually I love it there & how in order to turn tables he serves no after dinner coffee or drinks!

9. Re: Inexpensive restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo