We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what city to choose to vacation in...

miami fl
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
what city to choose to vacation in...

the hubby and i are thinking of taking a little vacation to mexico but i would like to know which parts of mexico are touristic friendly, which cities? thanks....and any recommendation, if any....

Coyote Canyon Adventures
Horseback Riding Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Archaeology Tours
Insolitours
Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Mexico Bike Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours
Shelby, North...
Level Contributor
223 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what city to choose to vacation in...

For better responses to your post, I suggest that you provide more information about your interests. I noticed from your TripAdvisor postings that you have concentrated on Las Vegas, the Bahamas, and Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Central Mexico is far different from those destinations. You might want to consider posting in the Cancun forum.

Buen Viaje!

miami fl
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what city to choose to vacation in...

uncb...i wasan't sure where to post it so i just picked central mexico..i redid it and put in cancun.............thanks :)

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
78 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what city to choose to vacation in...

Hi. Cancun for sure...if you want a lot going on, but in my opinion it is not Mexico anymore. If you would like smt more romantic...then try Tulum (cabanas on the beach) or Holbox.

From central Mexico, friendly cities would be San Miguel Allende, Guanajuato, Cuernavaca...really depends a lot what you are looking for.

Shelby, North...
Level Contributor
223 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what city to choose to vacation in...

I very much agree with iliveinmexico. Cancun and Cozumel, as well, are no longer authentic Mexico. In my opinion, much like south Florida…golf courses and developments. If you are intent on the Yucatán, keep going south. The Mayan ruins at Tulúm are great. As well as those at Coba.

The colonial cities of central Mexico, that iliveinmexico mentioned, are incredible. I would add Querétaro to the list. But, Guanajuato is a true not miss spot…very unique. Would also add, Guadalajara, for the second largest city in Mexico, is so beautiful. It reminds me of Madrid. We stayed in Telequepaque, a suburb….great spot.

Have you thought of the Pacific coast beaches? We spent almost a week in Bucerias, about an hour north of Puerto Vallarta and loved it.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
78 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what city to choose to vacation in...

Halo Shelby? Sounds like I have to go to Querétaro soon. I have never been there but so many people recommended recently. Is the center typical colonial?

I was not much amazed by Guadalajara, but I guess it is because it looks very much European (like you said) and I am from Europe. But close to Guadalajara I visited this magic little town called Patzcuaro!

And speaking of Bucerias (which I don't know yet, but me and my friend almost stopped there few weeks ago)...we stayed instead in Sayulita. It is about 20 minutes from Bucerias and we liked it a lot. Even thought many places are owned by Americans in Sayulita by now the place still has a nice "laid back, small village" feel.

miami fl
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what city to choose to vacation in...

hi guys thanks very much for yall imput...btw do u happened to know which one of these places u guys mentioned have all inclusive...

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what city to choose to vacation in...

If you are looking for an area that offers all inclusives that is less touristy than Cancun look at the Playa Ropa in Zihuantenjo. There is an adults only hotel, I don't remember if it is all inclusive but I loved staying on the Playa Ropa. If not in Ixtapa there is a Club Med and several other options that are definitely all inclusive. Huatulco is another Pacific Coast area that is not overly developed and has a number of all inclusive options. You may want to consider those areas as well. Good luck and enjoy.

8. Re: what city to choose to vacation in...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2011, 06:17