We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City or Guadalajara in February 2014

Belmar, New Jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City or Guadalajara in February 2014

My wife and I will be spending 7 nights in Puerto Vallarta, but first we would like to visit either Mexico City or Guadalajara for urban sightseeing. This trip is for our 25th. wedding anniversary, so we are not youngsters!

Is one destination safer then the other, and easier to get around? Are taxi's a problem in either city? We plan on local historical sightseeing and enjoy walking, and of course, good Mexican food. We are flexible on # of nights but are figuring about 6 nights. Any advice on airlines from Mex or GDL to PVR? Thank you in advance.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City or Guadalajara in February 2014

Mexico City is world class, with more museums than anywhere else in the world and great cafes and restaurants. Guadalajara is a moderately interesting provincial city, with enough to occupy you for a day or two.

There are flights from PV to MEX on a number of airlines. You can also fly to GDL, but there are also plenty of first class buses that take about three hours and drop you closer to the city centre.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City or Guadalajara in February 2014

Sorry, the bus journey is more than 3 hours, maybe closer to 5.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City or Guadalajara in February 2014

MC far more to do & see.

We did spend a full week in Gudalajara at the Quinta Real for our Honeymoon in '98 enjoying it immensely but a week is a bit long for a normal visit. Of course my wife is a Olympic Champion Shopper! LOL

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico City or Guadalajara in February 2014

You can visit Mexico City for a week and still leave a lot unseen,not true of Guadalajara. Taxis are plentiful in both cities. Mexico City is very safe and the Metro is fantastic as long as you avoid rush hour.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico City or Guadalajara in February 2014

Nevedr been to Mexico City, so cannot comment but Guadalajara has plenty to offer and if you design you trip properly there is a phenominal education to be achieved!

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico City or Guadalajara in February 2014

Seeing as you are in the state of Jalisco with PV I would also recommend Mexico City. Guadalajara is great when you have more time, are studying or working in the region but Mexico City is one of the great cities of the world.

Since it is your anniversary I suggest getting an early reservation in a fantastic neighborhood accommodation like the Red Tree House in Condesa. You can get from there easily to all the attractions that are not at your doorstep and also have some atmosphere, Roma and Condesa are where the eats and nightlife are these days. www.chilango.com for stuff to do.

Do not worry about safety in any of your destinations. Don´t wander into places that appear dodgy, take care of your valuables, just like in trips to Europe or in USA. I have lived in North Central Mexico for 9 years without any of the security problems that were typical in my life in Phila., LA, and Boston USA. Unless you deal in dope you are fine here, I travel to Mex DF often as a single female biz traveller and nary a problem. Felicidades!

7. Re: Mexico City or Guadalajara in February 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 07:16