We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

teotihuacan pyramids: leaving bags in a car trunk

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
teotihuacan pyramids: leaving bags in a car trunk

Hi guys,

I'm planning to get to pyramids by rented car. Is it safe to leave bags in a car trunk while i'll be visiting historic site? Will car with rental service plates be a red flag for a thief? Of course I'll take money and passport with me but don't want to make the rest of the trip without spare shirt =)

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: teotihuacan pyramids: leaving bags in a car trunk

Having lived in Mexico for 15 years and driven just about everywhere (including leaving a fully-packed SUV in car parks at tourist sites many times) I can happily say that I have never had the car broken into. It's extremely unlikely (although not totally impossible of course) that you will have a problem.

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: teotihuacan pyramids: leaving bags in a car trunk

Thanks for your reply Steve! It's just after reading all these articles on Internet about drug mafia or tourist not safe places I started to worry about such things...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: teotihuacan pyramids: leaving bags in a car trunk

The cartels aren't breaking into car trunks. What have you read about dangers at the Pyramids? Where did you read it?

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: teotihuacan pyramids: leaving bags in a car trunk

Not about Pyramids exactly, but general warnings like don't walk on a street after sunset or don't go places tourist don't suppose to go. There's also a story on the Internet about a guy who's wife's been kidnapped. Me wearing cheap clothes definitely don't look like a tourist who's easy to rip off anyway=) Just trying to be on a safe side since it's my first trip to South America and I don't speak Spanish at all...

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: teotihuacan pyramids: leaving bags in a car trunk

"Don't walk on a street after sunset" is ridiculous advice for 99% of Mexico. Obviously there are some unsavory neighborhoods where you would feel uncomfortable (just like in any major city) but you have no reason to visit those. I have not heard of a single instance of a tourist being kidnapped in Mexico - ever. (Yes, residents get kidnapped but they are planned in advance.) Generally, levels of safety in tourist Mexico are on a par with tourist areas of the U.S., Canada or Europe. And, for the pedantic, Mexico is of course in North America not South America :))

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: teotihuacan pyramids: leaving bags in a car trunk

Sorry! Of course North, not South = ) Thanks, Steve! I was also told that it's unsafe to walk with big cameras cause of big robbery possibility. I already not what you'll answer, but is it safe to use camera in uncrowded places like empty beach on a west coast or I'll be pushing my luck?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: teotihuacan pyramids: leaving bags in a car trunk

Again, robbery of tourists is very rare and I do not get the impression it's any more unsafe in Mexico than in other areas (U.S., Europe, Caribbean, etc.). I am from the UK and experienced more robbery, burglary and car theft there then I ever had in Mexico (and the UK is supposedly one of the lowest crime countries). I am not going to tell you it's 100% safe in case you sue me if something happens :)) But it is extremely rare. I would not wander an isolated beach after dark for 101 reasons but it's not that easy to find an isolated beach in Mexico any more :))

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: teotihuacan pyramids: leaving bags in a car trunk

Once again you are challenged to back up your stories. Where did you read this? How about a link? I know for some it is tempting to want to draw attention to yourself. But given the large numbers who read this site truth is important. Do people get cameras stolen? Petty theft is everywhere. Such people first off can't tell the difference between a cheap camera or an expensive one. When they try to fence it they get the same $10. Unless you are running around with a three ft. white Canon lense or one of those aluminum boxes that say Nikon it's not an issue. Again, who told you about this? If someone really did, which at this point anyone reading the thread doubts, have they ever been to Mexico? Or was it your barber's third cousin's neighbors girl friend? I don't know where you are from. Possibly a third world spot yourself? I can understand a tad in that case. Have you thought of changing your destination? I think it might be adviseable.

9. Re: teotihuacan pyramids: leaving bags in a car trunk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:18