We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 year old minor traveling to Cancun without parents

Chicago, Illinois
13 posts
Save Topic
17 year old minor traveling to Cancun without parents

Hi

We are US citizens. My 17 year old son is traveling to Cancun Mexico for spring break without his parents. Besides his passport, I think all he needs is a notarized letter from his parents giving him permission to travel.

Can anyone tell me if I am correct? If yes, his dad and I are divorced and his dad is out of town, my son leaves for his trip before his dad gets back in town, if my son has a notarized letter from just me, his mother, do you think that will suffice?

Thanks

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 year old minor traveling to Cancun without parents

Karen K,

Here is a link from the Mexican Consulate office in Monterrey, regarding minors entering Mexico:

monterrey.usconsulate.gov/acs_mex_entry.html

If that does not answer your questions, I'd give the Mexican Consular office in Chicago a call and speak with them directly. DO NOT DEVIATE from what they tell you or your son will be sent back on the very next flight (alone).

Que se diviertan!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 year old minor traveling to Cancun without parents

As long as the airline accepts him and the hotel allows him to check in (which they probably won't if he's alone but presumably he will be traveling with someone over 21?) you should be OK. If you have any doubts about potential immigration problems call the Mexican consulate to check.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 year old minor traveling to Cancun without parents

The U.S. Consulate General in Monterrey has received numerous reports of U.S. citizens being required to provide notarized consent forms for circumstances falling outside of the categories listed above, and/or being asked for such permission at land border crossings. Accordingly, the Consulate recommends all minors traveling without both parents carry a notarized consent letter at all times in the event airline or Mexican immigration officials request one.

Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy, the nearest Mexican consulate, or INM for more information.

…usconsulate.gov/acs_travel_minor.html

Que se diviertan!

Chicago, Illinois
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 17 year old minor traveling to Cancun without parents

Thanks - He is traveling with a small group of high school seniors who are all 18 and two moms (who do not want to be responsible for the other kids, they are just going to keep track of their own kids)...

I am going to write a letter and get it notarized for him to take, just to be sure...

Chicago, Illinois
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 17 year old minor traveling to Cancun without parents

Thanks - I am going to write a letter, and have it notarized, which I believe should take care of it.

What is the INM?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 17 year old minor traveling to Cancun without parents

You may need it from both parents to even check in (regardless of what the Mexican consulate says). Airlines can and do enforce their own policies, so you should have it from both parents and it should say you are allowing him to travel with whoever is the adult on this trip If he is not staying in the same rooms as one of the moms, the hotel won't let him check in without someone over 21 in the room and one mom can't vouch for two rooms. I would make sure you have all your documents in order before I would send him. If the dad won't be home, get him to do it where ever he is and courier you the letter. They are places to get it notarized everywhere.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 17 year old minor traveling to Cancun without parents

INM is the Mexican immigration service, Instituto Nacional de Migracion.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 17 year old minor traveling to Cancun without parents

They have no jurisdiction over what the airlines require though, you need to make sure you are good with both (and with the airline, that can really just come down to who checks you in that day). I have needed this information only about 50% of the time, but if I hadn't had it the other 50%, I would be screwed

9. Re: 17 year old minor traveling to Cancun without parents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 06:16