We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety and Travel in Cuernavaca Mexico

Which Cuernavaca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Safety and Travel in Cuernavaca Mexico

Listen folks contrary to the CNN reports, travel in Mexico away from the border towns is safe. I'll sight my last 2010 trip to Cuernavaca. The city is starving for tourist and therefor seem to be putting their best foot forward to welcome travelers. We felt completely safe. With the exception of our hotel's location, which was our fault for selecting it. If you are in town near the main square, you are fine. Sweethearts wondering at night, families together, diners at charming cafes. It was heavenly. The most exciting event the entire week was us being teased by a policewoman for J-walking. We are returning in February for an extended stay. I will select a more centrally located property for our lodging.

Anyone have experiences to the contrary?

cuernavaca
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Safety and Travel in Cuernavaca Mexico

Thank you Cereza for defining my so-called personal interest to talk about my city of the last 30 years and our 3rd generation family business, but you provide no dates to your personal involvement in a kidnapping nor the type of people involved, nor the last time you were here. Are you visiting now or within the last 4 months? Most of the crime in our state is occuring in the outlying towns like Yautepec, that your article only mentioned, that are 20 miles from Cuernavaca. towns like Jiutepec, Jojutla, Acatlipa, Cuatla, Tlatizapan have gang violence as they settle scores and territories. Much like East LA, South Chicago, New Orleans, DC, etc. etc.which have drive by shootings on a daily basis...Do you read the DiariodeMorelos.com and LaUnion.com (you can translate this news) to see what is happening daily in Morelos? There have been kidnappings throughout Mexico for decades and Mortelos has had this problem in the past and present, but again, using published data, tourists are not at all targeted. You state that tourists are ¨being ´hasseled at the very least¨, based on what? Recent Personal Observation? Morelos is fantastic with the World Heritage Site of Xochicalco, Colonial Downtown with cafes and music venues, 16th Cent. Cathedral, Cortes Palace, 16th century haciendas & monasteries, Longest Zipline in the World with extreme sports like spelunking, underground rivers, and rapelling, Largest Gardens in the World just opened, Jardines de Mexico, Natural spas like Las Estacas fed from the Volcanoes, and only 1 hr. from majestic Mexico City. We just had tourists from all over the world come for the winter season, and not one reported any unpleasant incident, on the contrary they are all coming back for another visit...

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Safety and Travel in Cuernavaca Mexico

For the record I don't have any business in Cuernavaca nor do I even like the place but I agree with the previous poster. Mexico has huge criminal problems (such as extortion and kidnapping) in many places but this rarely if ever effects tourists. I hate the argument of "well, it hasn't yet but might do soon" - bit like saying "Paris has never had an earthquake but I'm not going there in case it has one tomorrow!"

53. Re: Safety and Travel in Cuernavaca Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 February 2016, 00:32
California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,692 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Safety and Travel in Cuernavaca Mexico

The U.S. State Department says that it is safe to visit Cuernavaca, which is good enough for me.

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
590 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Safety and Travel in Cuernavaca Mexico

Ok but it's still ranked in the top 50 most dangerous cities in the world. So don't be feeling too safe there.

justiceinmexico.org/2014/…

This is the recent government Step announcement on the State of Morelos.

I don't see where it say's it is safe.

Morelos: Cuernavaca is a major city/travel destination in Morelos- Exercise caution in the state of Morelos due to the unpredictable nature of organized crime violence. You should also defer non-essential travel on any roads between Huitzilac in the northwest corner of the state and Santa Marta in the state of Mexico, including the Lagunas de Zempoala National Park and surrounding areas. On August 24, 2012, two U.S. government employees were injured after being fired upon by Federal Police officers on a non-toll road north of Tres Marias, Morelos. Numerous incidents of organized crime-related violence have also occurred in the city of Cuernavaca.

Cuernavaca, Mexico
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
56. Re: Safety and Travel in Cuernavaca Mexico

The incident referred to involved an armored suv with cia/dea agents & mexican marine ambushed by Fed agents, but as soon as these details were released by the press, no more news about this attack surfaced. The inciddent did noft occur in Cuernavaca but at the border of two states, Moerelos & the State of Mexico, known for organized crime , but obviously after 2 years this is no longer "news" and the State Department needed to finally report the reality here in Cuernavaca. One can read the news for Cuernavaca by going to our online news @ launiondemorelos.com or Eldiariodemorelos.com to be informed.

dedham, ma
Level Contributor
230 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Safety and Travel in Cuernavaca Mexico

I am commenting on my personal experience from July 2014. I spent two wonderful weeks in Cuernavaca while taking an intensive language course at Cemanahuac Language School. I lived with a family and was impressed by the security at the entrances to our colonia (neighborhood) as well as others that I visited. I walked everywhere and took public buses. In the evening I would take radio taxis when needed. I definitely stood out like a sore thumb with my blonde hair and style of clothing and could entertain you with stories of people talking about me, trying to figure out where I was from, not knowing that I could understand every word they shared in Spanish. I never felt threatened or unsafe. However, I am a smart traveler and do not venture into unknown areas alone or at night. I found the residents kind and helpful when I asked for directions. I even spent time in the giant municipal market which can be overwhelming. Once when I was there with a small group of other women, a local woman came up to us and pointed out the time. She suggested that we start making our way out of the market as she was concerned for our safety as it was getting dark. I found most local residents very safety conscious but no more so than in any other big city that I have lived in or traveled to. I will definitely go back and hope that more people will give Cuernavaca a try. The city and its language schools have so much to offer.

1 post
Save Reply
58. Re: Safety and Travel in Cuernavaca Mexico

Liked the tone i f the text corect without rasist coments

Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Safety and Travel in Cuernavaca Mexico

But only particular areas of Guerrero and Michoacán are a problem. Most areas of those states are perfectly fine. I've been to both and felt entirely safe. I'd recommend Patzcuaro and Morelia in Michoacan and Taxco in Guerrero. And Las Grutas del Cacahuamila outside of Taxco is fantastic... it's a series of underground caverns with easy to walk sidewalks plus lighting plus a guide. Very accessible and very worthwhile.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Safety and Travel in Cuernavaca Mexico

Chambista, what is your source for that info? Link please?

Edited: 10 December 2014, 12:56