We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Language schools in Cuernavaca

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish Language schools in Cuernavaca

I am looking for a Spanish language school in Cuernavaca to increase my fluidity. I am an intermediate student and do not want the "college atmosphere". I plan to study there 1-2 weeks. I would like some cultural lectures, etc. in Spanish as well as classes. Does anyone have a recommendation? Is it best to go during off-season for the classes, usually April-May, or when it is more busy?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cuernavaca
Cuernavaca
Morelos, Mexico
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Language schools in Cuernavaca

Have you any particular reason for wanting to study in Cuernavaca? In my view, it's now one of the less attractive towns in the country!

Mentioned in this post
Cuernavaca
Cuernavaca
Morelos, Mexico
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Language schools in Cuernavaca

No, I do want to study in Mexico, though. Although I live in San Francisco where there are many people from Mexico, I have trouble understanding the accent. Any place in Mexico would be fine. Do you have a different recommendation?

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Language schools in Cuernavaca

Far be it from me to suggest San Miguel de Allende! Anyway, Academia Hispano-americana runs excellent courses (I studied there several years ago and recommend it heartily) with good afternoon sessions on history and culture and a homestay programme. The courses are four weeks, but you can opt in and out when you like usually, or take private lessons:

www.ahaspeakspanish.com/‎

Another school that's liked by Americans who start off with no Spanish at all is Warren Hardy:

warrenhardy.com/‎

There are also good schools in Guanajuato, another attractive town. If you do a search on the Guanajuato forim you will find recommendations. Or post a question there.

Mentioned in this post
San Miguel de Allende
San Miguel de Allende
Guanajuato, Mexico
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Guanajuato, Mexico
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Language schools in Cuernavaca

Thanks. I have been to San Miguel de Allende so was thinking of going where I have not been. I will check out Guanajuanto.

Mentioned in this post
San Miguel de Allende
San Miguel de Allende
Guanajuato, Mexico
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish Language schools in Cuernavaca

Oaxaca?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish Language schools in Cuernavaca

I would recommend studying spanish in Oaxaca, Mexico. I have traveleved all over the interior of Mexico and this is by far my favorite place. I have attended two different language schools there and both were good--Becari and Spanish Magic. You can stay with a family or find a reasonably priced hotel. Las Mariposas hotel is a great place to stay especially if you are traveling solo. Morning coffee and sweet bread is provided in the central patio and is a great place to meet other people from all over the world who love Oaxaca. There is so much to see and do in Oaxaca and the surrounding villages. The central zocolo there is a great place to just sit and watch the action day or night.

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
California
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish Language schools in Cuernavaca

Try Queretero, which is north of Mexico City. Cuernavaca is really not safe now, some schools are closing there because kidnapping in the city is at an all time high.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 17:34
Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Cuernavaca
Cuernavaca
Morelos, Mexico
cuernavaca
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish Language schools in Cuernavaca

You might want to try the oldest schools that offer a full range of studies such as the SLI (Spanish Language Institute), or UNINTER.

San Marcos, Texas
Level Contributor
537 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spanish Language schools in Cuernavaca

I have studied at chac mool in Cuernavaca 6 times in 7 years and it has been a great school. Bit it is now closed due to insecurity there. Have been to Oaxaca 3 times in the last 16 months and find it beautiful, affordable and SAFE. do not have experience at Spanish schools there but it is an incredible place to visit and the food is fantastick. mole mole mole!

Mentioned in this post
Cuernavaca
Cuernavaca
Morelos, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
San Marcos, Texas
Level Contributor
537 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spanish Language schools in Cuernavaca

I have studied at chac mool in Cuernavaca 6 times in 7 years and it has been a great school. Bit it is now closed due to insecurity there. Have been to Oaxaca 3 times in the last 16 months and find it beautiful, affordable and SAFE. do not have experience at Spanish schools there but it is an incredible place to visit and the food is fantastick. mole mole mole!

Mentioned in this post
Cuernavaca
Cuernavaca
Morelos, Mexico
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico