We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street Food: Tlaquepaque

Level Contributor
230 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Street Food: Tlaquepaque

How safe is it to try the street food in Tlaquepaque??

San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Street Food: Tlaquepaque

I look at how clean the cart is, the food preparer does not handle the money and there is a good size crowd eating and enjoying their meal...I bet most carts are cleaner than a kitchen in a restaurant where you can't see the food prepared.......

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street Food: Tlaquepaque

I agree with Carico 100% and would apply that rule generally anywhere in Jalisco. By the way, the best hot dogs and hamburgers I've ever tasted anywhere on planet earth were from street carts in Guadalajara. Most of them start their business in the evenings, around 8 or 9PM.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street Food: Tlaquepaque

Fair warning, some Mexican hotdogs are just nasty! I have not fond a Mexican brand of hot dog I would buy twice.

Level Contributor
230 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Street Food: Tlaquepaque

Thanks for all the info...much appreciated. Sioux4noff , I generally NEVER eat hot dogs so that is not a problem. My mother used to live in Bucerias, and I got married there! Was just there in May to celebrate our anniversary at Karen's who catered our wedding 10 years ago!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street Food: Tlaquepaque

As opposed to the genetically modified ones you get in the States? Ate hot dogs in Mexico for many years, never had a problem.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 05:23
El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
381 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street Food: Tlaquepaque

Its usualy perfectly safe, and let me tell you, Guadalajara has some of the best food in Mexico, recomendo the tortas ahogadas, yummy, spicy

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Street Food: Tlaquepaque

Hot dogs in Mexico to me have a very horrible texture and flavor. They are often very mushy and strangely colored. There is very little in them that resembles actual food.

I'd much rather have an Oscar Meyer, or Johnsonville, or Costco hotdog.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street Food: Tlaquepaque

Are you sure that's all of Mexico? Because I've had a lot of hot dogs in various parts of Mexico (in Guadalajara they're referred to as "dogos") and I've never experienced that texture. The best "dogos" in Guadalajara are from the street vendors in the area around the Minerva, though they usually don't start business until night. Sorry, but I find American hot dogs quite insipid.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Street Food: Tlaquepaque

I'll give them a try, but I have never had a Mexican hotdog I liked. However , the exoticness factor, or the after-bar factor can come into play.

I buy Kirkland brand hotdogs at Costco, and our Mexican friends have commented on how really good they are.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 18:40
Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Street Food: Tlaquepaque

Oddly side tracked thread. Why go to Mexico to eat hot dogs? I've eaten about every kind of street food in Mexico from corn to churros (the secret to a great churros cart-never change the grease) but hot dogs and sushi are the two things I've seen sold on carts that I don't care for.