We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

general comfort level of temps in mid December

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,361 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
general comfort level of temps in mid December

Hi there all, I have a weather question LOL, but I'm not asking for a prediction, just some generalities.

We're thinking of topping off our PV trip with a 3 or 4 night visit to the Guadalajara area, and flying home to KC from there. So, we would be in Guadalajara for a few days in mid December.

I'm trying to decide if we want to go at this time, we don't want to be uncomfortably chilly on vacation. From my research, it looks like this is a transitional time between seasons, so temps could be mild like low 70's -or it could be fairly chilly during the day, as in we might want light jackets. Is that a correct assumption.....that it's a pretty wide range of possibilities at that time?

I appreciate any descriptions you can give from your experience at that time. Thanks!

BC
Level Contributor
4,973 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: general comfort level of temps in mid December

Hi Kansas,

I visited Guadalara in mid March last year (2012), so a different season than you. You might remember that I went there to shop for Amate paper. I've got the six smaller ones framed, one of the larger pieces just put on the wall two days ago, and one very large one left to go. They are beautiful.

Anyhow, on my research for that trip, I found some notes about weather from a B&B in town. This is what they write:

"December through February —Traveling in the central highlands of Mexico at this time of year can be cool in the evenings and early morning, so you will definitely want to consider packing slacks, socks, and a light-to-medium sweater or jacket during these months again for early morning and evening. It all depends on your personal thermometer and where you're from. If you are from very far up north, our coldest night may be like a spring day to you. The days still reach the 70's and are lovely, but because of our altitude as soon as the sun goes down it can become cool.

The coldest I have seen the nights here was at three in the morning in January when it went down to 43 degrees Fahrenheit. Normally it's into the 50's, but it still makes sitting on the terrace with coffee during the early morning a bit cool until the sun comes out.

Remember, if you will be driving up from a coastal area like Puerto Vallarta, even though we are a few hours away, we are a very different climate — so pack more than shorts and sandals. By Valentines' Day things have usually warmed up so evenings are fresh but comfortable as a rule."

We very much enjoyed our week in Guadalajara and liked flying out from GDL, rather than PVR, although it was a very early morning flight.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,361 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: general comfort level of temps in mid December

I do remember about the Amate Bark! I'm sure you're thrilled to get some more of it up on the wall. I've gotten some compliments on mine here at home, especially since I moved it from where it was above the fireplace to the front entry. Best laid plans oh well, but it's so much better on a regular sized wall where it can be seen and appreciated close up rather than high up.

Thanks for that write up! So, it sounds like we can expect Spring weather like we experience here in the spring. Now I have to read this to husband and see what he thinks. From a positive attitude I guess it would ease us back into cold weather at home, and some Mexican hot chocolate would be just right.

I want to do a trip to Guanajuato too, but it's definitely colder there in December, so that sounds like a good place to go in June sometime and just stick to that area.

BC
Level Contributor
4,973 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: general comfort level of temps in mid December

I doubt that Guadalajara could be any colder than we experienced in PV in January of 2011, when we froze there except between the hours of 11 and 6 pm. You wouldn't get that cold wind off the ocean, so within the city you'd be fine.

For my last big piece of Amate (about 30 by 40 inches) I have been debating whether to try to frame it so I can have it lit from behind. It is a gorgeous, intricate piece of art. The problem is that due to its size, the stretcher frame may need a reinforcing bar in the middle of the rectangle, and then this bar would show up as a shadow. Don't know how they deal with that in the ones you buy framed.

We stopped for a couple of days in Playa del Carmen this spring and there was a shop on the main tourist street selling huge amounts of it! They were very nice and allowed me to photograph the backs and how they were framed, but it hasn't helped me much. Prices were much higher than in PV.

Guanajuato was an interesting place. It was warm in March. Food and eating were disappointing. We were there just days before the Pope's visit, so the entire city was being spruced up.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: general comfort level of temps in mid December

We have been to Guadalajara when the temperature went to 1 degree C at night. It was early January.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: general comfort level of temps in mid December

Hi Kansas!

You mentioned Guanajuato. Since the last time we pub-crawled together, I've been there, and what can I say, but GO. I think you guys would love it, knowing you like to explore off the beaten path. (Feel free to PM me if you have questions, or start something on the GTO forum.) BTW, I went in February and found the climate to be ideal. Well, ideal to a Canadian.

Guadalajara, right. All I know about it is, they call it the City of Eternal Spring. Sounds pretty good to me. :)

vancouver
Level Contributor
395 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: general comfort level of temps in mid December

Sioux, I too am planning to go early January to GDL and Mex City. Would you recall how warm it gets in GDL once the sun is up that time of the year?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: general comfort level of temps in mid December

Guadalajara in December is generally pleasant, especially during the day. It rarely gets above 75F and it rarely falls below 45F at night. There is a major difference between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara. The latter is located at an elevation of 5,000 feet, which often makes it much cooler than PV. In my four years in Guadalajara (2002-6), we only had a couple of coldspells, where temps dipped into the 30s at night. But I rarely find it cold there (in contrast to Mexico City, which is at an elevation of 7,500 ft, and therefore a bit colder).

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,361 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: general comfort level of temps in mid December

Pumpermum - In the lighted pieces I saw, they weren't trying to light up the entire piece, so that's probably why dark areas from the support bars weren't an issue. They were lighting up a corner or section. If they did a corner it was maybe a top left and bottom right area or something significant in the design. I've decided I have to buy more Amate bark!

Viajero - Thanks for that. I looked at many photos of Guanajuato and it looks like a photographer's dream! Oh the places I want to go! You know...husband has serious health issues so we have to go when he won't feel too chilled which causes cramps. I think May or June would work well though.

After reading this on the temps my husband says he doesn't want to go to Guadalajara in December due to risk of being chilly mornings and evenings...so we'll have to put off Guadalajara. We come home to cold, so not much fun for him to deal with the effects on vacation, especially since we want to be outside on vacay.

Thanks so much everyone for helping us make this important decision. :-)

9. Re: general comfort level of temps in mid December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara