We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling by car from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
71 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling by car from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta

We'd like to break up the drive with a couple stops on the way and make a day of it. What would you recommend? We like ruins, nature, nice small towns, and don't mind getting off the beaten path. What's the best along the route?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling by car from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta

Highway 90 seems to be the most interesting route, though I've never taken it all the way to Puerto Vallarta. You can stop at the pre-Columbian archeological site of Guachimontones (which requires a bit of a detour and a hike, but totally worth it IMO) and the charming colonial town of Mascota. I've only traveled from GDL to PVR via air or public transport, so I'm not sure of the current state of this highway. The faster route, the one the buses take, goes up to Nayarit and then south again towards Vallarta. It's not terribly impressive, but it is a bit faster (about an hour or so, according to my friends in Guadalajara).

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Guachimontones
Guachimontones
690 Reviews
Teuchitlan, Mexico
Miguel Hidal Airport
Miguel Hidal Airport
Guadalajara, Mexico
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Mexico
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling by car from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta

I am also traveling by car next week from Guadalajara to PV, but I want the quickest and safest route possible.

Unless there is something I really need to stop and see. I haven't done the drive in over 13 years, so I heard there are all kinds of improvements on the highway. I remember it taking a bit, but Google says it's only 190 miles away, but will take 4.5 hours or 5.0 hours?? Does that seem right.

Mentioned in this post
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling by car from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta

The bus takes 5 hours, and people who drive say it takes about 4. I'm guessing that it takes longer than one would assume given the mountainous and winding roads one encounters along the way. ON the faster route, you'll have to go through a number of booths, as it is a toll road, and that sometimes eats up a bit of time if there's traffic. Would love to hear your account of the road trip after the fact. Enjoy PV.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling by car from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta

I drove from PV to Tequila recently on the pay for highway and it's a nice ride. I've never been to GDL, but next week I'm driving there from PV. I found a really cool town/beach last time around 2hrs from PV called Chacala

I had some good hand made tortillas and fresh fish on a nice beach. It was relaxing for a swim before continuing. http://www.playachacala.com/ I'm open to more suggestions as this will be a long drive that I'm not too excited about next week.

Mentioned in this post
Miguel Hidal Airport
Miguel Hidal Airport
Guadalajara, Mexico
Chacala
Chacala
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling by car from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta

@need4speed: Do you remember how long it took to get from Puerto Vallarta to Tequila? It's about an hour's drive from Tequila to Guadalajara, depending on traffic and where you go in Guadalajara.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling by car from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta

I don't recall exactly but I'd say 4 hours give or take

7. Re: Traveling by car from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2014, 04:18