We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses from Texas to Guadalajara

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Buses from Texas to Guadalajara

Hello!

in of a bit of a dilemma here =( but anyways i was wondering if anyone knew any bus that could take me to Guadalajara, Mexico from houston texas. (going there for some classes if it matters) the only thing i found was greyhound but it was a little pricey. had a friend tell me just to take a bus to Nuevo Laredo then from there hop a different bus to Guadalajara. im just trying to find the less expensive/hassle way of getting there. would it be cheaper by doing this or just take the greyhound all the way there.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buses from Texas to Guadalajara

It looks like you have at least 3 choices: the two you've mentioned and Grupo Senda, which also leaves from Houston and gets you all the way to Guadalajara, just like the Greyhound. I've taken Grupo Senda before, from Laredo to Guadalajara and back, and these buses are excellent--much more comfortable than your normal Greyhound bus. On the other hand, the Greyhound fare appears to be cheaper ($102 vs 148 for the Grupo Senda). Given the transfer time you'll have in Nuevo Laredo, it's going to be about a 24 hour trip regardless of the option you choose. It's about 12-14 hours to Guadalajara, once you get to Nuevo Laredo.

http://ticket.gruposenda.com/index.php

If you decide to take a Greyhound bus to the border, and then a Mexican bus line to Guadalajara, I suggest you choose ETN at www.etn.com.mx. On this bus, you'll be even more comfortable, but going this route will be about the same price as taking the Grupo Senda. ETN doesn't go to Houston, so again, you'll have to take it in Laredo.

On both Grupo Senda and ETN, you'll get to choose your seat when you make the reservation, which for me is always a plus. On Greyhound, it looks like that option is not available.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buses from Texas to Guadalajara

I am just finishing up a bus trip. As a matter of fact, I'm on the bus right now.

From Puerto Vallarta I flew VivaAerobus to Monterrey. Then took Turimex (Grupo Senda) to Austin Texas. The bus was not very full so I had 2 seats to myself. It was OK, very basic although sufficient leg room.

Coming back, I took Greyhound from Waco Texas to Nuevo Laredo. The bus quality is a toss-up. From Waco to San Antonio the bus was comfortable enough with decent legroom. In San Antonio we had a bus transfer and got on a newer Americanos branded bus. A tad less legroom but wifi and electric outlets.

From Nuevo Laredo to Guadalajara I chose Turistar Lujo, which is the same company as ETN. Wow is this bus nice!

One seat on one side of the aisle, 2 on the other. Big comfy seats which recline a lot, and good foot rests. 2 bathrooms with sinks, wifi. No electric outlets..

Maybe grupo senda has some nicer buses, but my experience says take ETN or Turistar.

Send me a note if I can help any more.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 12:38
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buses from Texas to Guadalajara

Grupo Senda has both 1st class and Executive. Their executive class is identical to the ETN arrangement described above, where you have two seats on one side, and one on the other (thus much more space). From Nuevo Laredo to Guadalajara, the price of the 1st class on Grupo Senda is 1,050 pesos, while the executive is 1,300 pesos. The service/quality of both of these (ETN vs Grupo Senda) is about the same, but the ETN/Turistar has more runs to Guadalajara each day.

The name of the executive class bus for Grupo Senda from Nuevo Laredo to Guadalajara is "Ave Senda Ejecutiva."

Edited: 18 November 2013, 17:03
Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buses from Texas to Guadalajara

Apparently the Grupo Senda executive class does not go to the US :(

And the Americanos buses running within Mexico are not near as nice as the one I was on in Texas.

If only their was a way to know which bus you would actually get!

After booking a trip from Waco, Texas to Guadalajara and return for my daughter and grandkids, I found that booking through Greyhound directly was easy in that they had 1 ticket purchase for the whole trip. But we could have gotten the same tickets for less buying Greyhound within the US and whichever line we chose within Mexico seperately.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 20:12
5. Re: Buses from Texas to Guadalajara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Guadalajara