We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GDL and surrounding cities

Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
GDL and surrounding cities

Hi all,

I was in GDL this past November but looking to go back to MX because there are many available flights from LAX. Since I have seen GDL for a few days during my past trip, I am looking taking a flight to GDL and then travel to other cities straight from the airport. However, I cannot decide with regard to logistical issues.

My interests lean toward visiting museums and experiencing colonial cities vs. spending time at a large beach resort. I am thinking of the following scenarios.

1: Morelia and Lake Chapala.

2: San Luis Potosi

3: Puerto Vallarta

I am not too particularly crazy about the third option but I believe that Puerto Vallarta does have an old historic core. As for options 1 and 2, I am wondering which one makes more sense in terms of the ease of getting there and back to GDL for the return flight home.

If you have been to any of the three places aforementioned (departing from Guadalajara or its airport), please share your opinions. Many thanks in advance. It seems that it takes about 4 hours by bus to any of these places.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GDL and surrounding cities

Morelia/Patzcuaro (not Lake Chapala) would be a good choice. Morelia is a nice colonial city, Patzcuaro (45 minutes away) a smaller town on a lake with a nice boat trip to Janitzio available. San Luis is OK but not as much to see and do. PV is only good if you just want a beach town.

Actually Guanajuato would be another good option.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 16:38
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GDL and surrounding cities

I am with SteveMex on a making a visit to Morelia. I visited Guadalajara last April for a week and took a bus ride to Morelia with Primera Plus. There is alot to see/do there, make sure to check out the Morelia TripAdivsor page for more info. There are many beautiful builidings in the City Center, cheap places to eat and people were very friendly. The bus ride took around 4-5 hours from Guadalajara, the ticket was less than $30 USD one way and the bus was clean. Since you are planning a return bus trip I would double check with other bus companies schedules like ETN so that you can return at a time of your choosing to catch your flight. A simple Google search will bring up both companies websites to check schedules, although I advise you to buy the tickets in person.

There has been recent negative publicity about the current state of Michoacan, please don't let that deter you from visiting it's capital. There is a heavy police/military presence in Morelia and the tourists area seemed very safe to me in my two visits.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GDL and surrounding cities

Hi and thank you all. I would definitely check out Morelia.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GDL and surrounding cities

Does anyone has any updated info about social and political unrest. Many thanks.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GDL and surrounding cities

If you want colonial flavor, I think your best bet is Guanajuato city or Zacatecas. You can get to Guanajuato in 4 hours by bus. Morelia does have a lot of interesting colonial architecture as well as a lively arts scene, but it doesn't match the intensity and beauty of Guanajuato in my opinion. Puerto Vallarta's center does have a bit of charm to it, though there are not a lot of colonial buildings there. The setting and the views of the beach from the hill overlooking it are really special in Puerto Vallarta.

I feel safe when I visit Guadalajara. I was just there in December/January for 3 weeks and travel 3 times of year to the state of Jalisco. .

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GDL and surrounding cities

For "updated info about social and political unrest", your tax dollars are producing the best report on that subject that I'm aware of. It's very detailed by region.

…state.gov/content/passports/english/alertsw…

Note that some of the areas being discussed are more (cough) discouraged than others.

I visited Morelia but grudgingly avoided Patzcuaro because my insurance would've been invalidated, in turn because of (the Canadian version of) that travel warning. Sigh.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GDL and surrounding cities

In all honesty I don't think "social and political unrest" describes anything that is going on in Mexico apart from teachers protesting which is impossible to predict and usually easy to avoid. There is inter-gang conflict of course.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GDL and surrounding cities

IMO, if you have multiple destinations that interest you, I would avoid those in areas with ongoing troubles.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GDL and surrounding cities

Thank you all. I have been to Guanajuanto before. There are not a whole lots of choices left for me. Mexico is huge. I need to go where I don't have to deal with a long lay over as my trip is only about one week long. I figure that Morelia is a good option since it is recommended by Lonely Planet.

I have already gotten my ticket so I would need to be careful and I think it should be a ok. Many thanks for your inputs.

BC
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GDL and surrounding cities

--I visited Morelia but grudgingly avoided Patzcuaro because my insurance would've been invalidated, in turn because of (the Canadian version of) that travel warning. Sigh--

Viajero: what insurance? Medical? Just curious about that.