We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from puerto vallarta to Ajiji Lake chapala

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
travel from puerto vallarta to Ajiji Lake chapala

My husband and I will be in Puerto Vallarta in January and would like to visit friends in Ajiji, Lake Chapala.

What is the best way to get there?

We are thinking of possibly taking a bus from PV to Guadalajara.

Is it easy to transfer to another bus at the bus station that goes to Ajiji or should we consider taking a taxi.

Also, how often do the buses run from Guadaljara to Ajiji?

Or, is there a better way to get there altogether?

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from puerto vallarta to Ajiji Lake chapala

You can take a bus, ETN, Vallarta Plus or Primera Plus to Guadalajara. You'll need to go to a different bus station to go to Ajijic. It is totally doable.

Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
355 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from puerto vallarta to Ajiji Lake chapala

I am doing the same in reverse and here are the notes I have prepared:

You can go on line and get the times from the bus companies, but usually leave every hour, and reservations are usually not needed as they leave so often.

I also recommend going to Chapala from Ajijic and getting the reserved seating bus at Chapala as I had to stand once from Ajinjic to Guadalajara for the one hour plus trip into the city.

LEAVING CHAPALA FOR PUERTO VALLARTA

At the Chapala bus terminal, get the bus to Guadalajara, about 50$, and it will go to

ANTIGUA CENTRAL CAMIONERA @ Av. Los Angeles, beside Parque Agua Azul.

NOTE: THE BUS STATION CLOSES AT 9 PM

From there, take a 200$ taxi to TERMINAL ZAPOPAN WHICH IS CALLED

TERMINAL DE AUTOBUSES NUEVO MILENIO DE ZAPOPAN. The Vallarta Plus Bus

Station is about 100 yards south of the Zapopan Main Bus Terminal and it is the lowest

cost bus to PV, about 420$ and leaves every hour from 5 am to 2 am usually on the hour. There is a 711 store between the two bus terminals for snacks.

These two terminals are on AV VALLARTA & AV AVIACION @ PERIFERICO

The best bus is ETN for 555$ ($12 Cdn more) with only 24 seats, 2 on 1 side, and 1 on 1 side, with headsets, separate wash rooms, auto service cafe, larger recline seats, but not as frequent departures, especially late afternoons: best to check schedules.

Primera Plus at 470$

BEST TO CHECK BOTH BUS LINES TO SEE WHAT TIMES IT LEAVES, AS THE VALLARTA LEAVES

EVERY HOUR, USUALLY 10 MINUTES BEFORE THE HOUR DURING THE AFTERNOON, WHILE

THE ETN LEAVES ABOUT EVERY 2 HOURS IN THE AFTERNOON...IT IS ON MY PV FAVOURITES

ARRIVING IN PUERTO VALLARTA FROM GDL WITH VALLARTA PLUS

The bus will arrive in PV, just around the corner from the main terminal

ESTACION DE AUTOBUS PUERTO VALLARTA on Av. PALMA REAL NO 140, which is just

north of the airport. Walk down the road, with the Corona Plant on my right, to the main

highway going to PV, then cross the road and turn right and there will be a bus shelter

directly across from the Corona Plant. (There is a OXXO store north of the main bus terminal)

Mojoneras bus goes from the bus terminal to Old Town

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from puerto vallarta to Ajiji Lake chapala

Thanks

I'm reading that a lot of people are having difficulty purchasing bus tickets online. If we arrive in PV on a Sunday, do you think it should be possible to purchase a bus ticket for travel on the Monday?

Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
355 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from puerto vallarta to Ajiji Lake chapala

With so many departures, and so many different bus companies making the trip, you should not have a problem. If you want to make sure of getting your seats, go to a travel agent or the bus terminal a day or so before you travel, but I really do not think it is necessary, as I plan on getting my ticket just before departure.

airdrie,AB
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from puerto vallarta to Ajiji Lake chapala

Does anyone know how much a taxi would cost or if they drive that far? I am bringing my cats and dogs and buses don't allow animals otherwise I would just take the bus.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from puerto vallarta to Ajiji Lake chapala

The intercity buses will allow pets in crates that ride with the luggage.

7. Re: travel from puerto vallarta to Ajiji Lake chapala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2015, 05:16