We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel through the Heartland from Guadalajara to Mexico DF

Which Guadalajara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town
Level Contributor
327 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Travel through the Heartland from Guadalajara to Mexico DF

We are planning our second trip to Mexico.

As part of the trip we plan to fly to Guadalajara, spend 2 or 3 nights there and then travel to Mexico DF over the next week via Leon, Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende and Queretaro.

Is it effective to make this journey using buses? - we used ADO for a couple of journeys on our first visit and found it very effective.

Travel between most places looks close - so for some legs maybe a taxi would be better than the hassle of going to the bus station?

Thanks in advance.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel through the Heartland from Guadalajara to Mexico DF

Buses are fine - best lines are ETN (www.etn.com.mx) and Primera Plus (www.primeraplus.com.mx). ETN are more expensive because they have 3 seats in a row instead of 4. If there is at least 2 of you then you could get a taxi between Guanajuato/San Miguel and/or San Miguel/Queretaro for a reasonable price.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel through the Heartland from Guadalajara to Mexico DF

Right. ADO is mostly in the eastern part of the country, the lines mentioned above are the way to go here. You get what you pay for, and the premium buses are VERY comfortable.

You could perhaps skip Leon, but G'to, SMA, and Q'ro are definitely not to be missed.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
327 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel through the Heartland from Guadalajara to Mexico DF

Thanks for the advice.

We are thinking of 3 nights Guadalajara, then 1 night Leon, and 2 nights each in Guanajuato, SMA & Queretaro.

Sounds like the mixture of buses & taxis will be the best option.

BC
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel through the Heartland from Guadalajara to Mexico DF

You might consider travelling to SMA from Guanajuato via Dolores HIdalgo. A very nice little town, historically important. Easy to get to by second class bus from Guanajuato, the main plaza is just a few blocks from the bus station.

The main square has the most interesting ice cream flavours you will ever come across Also many lovely ceramics shops in town, for which it is known.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
327 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel through the Heartland from Guadalajara to Mexico DF

Thx Pumpermum,

I was considering Dolores Hildago, but not sure if we will be able to fit it in.

We will be travelling with luggage - we are light travellers, but not backpackers, and this will be in the middle of a 5 week trip. So on "travel days" we tend to get to our next stop and then venture out from there.

The option I thought about was to skip Leon and stop one night in Dolores Hildago

Advice welcomed

BC
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel through the Heartland from Guadalajara to Mexico DF

Most Mexican bus stations have spots to check your luggage in to leave for a few hours. I don't know for sure about Dolores Hildalgo as we did it as a day trip from Guanajuato, but i would expect it to be the same.

Beforehand I had considered staying there overnight, but after visiting I was happy that we did it as a day trip, saving checking in and out of another hotel.

Buses run quite frequently. If you left your luggage there, you could spent four hours looking around the very pretty plaza, museums, church, having a nice lunch (food in Guanajuato was not the best in Mexico and we really enjoyed our lunch in DH) and an ice cream, and maybe visiting a nearby ceramics shop, if that is your thing. Five minute walk back to the bus station to catch another bus to San Miguel, I didn't go there but buses should run very frequently to that city as well. Seeing as DH is between the two cities that seems the easiest way to visit.

I love Mexico and have been to a lot of towns (have a lot more to go, though!), I really enjoyed friendly Dolores Hidalgo, plus I like learning about/seeing the places regarding Mexican Independence. Loved Morelia and viewing the Morelos (independence hero) museums. It is quite rare to hear of a tourist talking about visiting Leon, there was someone mentioning it on the thorn tree forum and everyone asked him why he wanted to go there.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel through the Heartland from Guadalajara to Mexico DF

one word - leather.

BC
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel through the Heartland from Guadalajara to Mexico DF

Sioux, his reasons didn't have anything to do with leather; he had just picked some fairly random places. But I do know what you are talking about.

Toronto
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel through the Heartland from Guadalajara to Mexico DF

pumpermum

Thank you for referencing Dolores Hildago. Your post caused me to do some more investigation. Dolores Hildago has been a Pueblo Magico since 2002. I have enjoyed visiting Pueblos Magico during my road trips in Mexico but have never short listed DH. It will be on my next trip.

jt

Cape Town
Level Contributor
327 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel through the Heartland from Guadalajara to Mexico DF

Hi sioux,

I take it that your "leather" comment refers to Leon - I have read that it is good for leather goods? I understand that it does not have a huge amount to see, but we thought we would have a one night stop there - we thought in the middle of town at the old Howard Johnson.

pumpermum,

The places we are planning to visit were not intended to be "random". I selected places that I have read about and thought would give a good glimpse of the "colonial heartland" from Guadalajara to Mexico DF.

I understood the Guanajuato, SMA, DH, Queretaro route to be the main historic towns and cities of the area - again advice welcomed about this.

We love Mexico - but it is a very long (and expensive) trip for us, so we are not able to visit very often, and therefore want to see as much as possible whilst there.