We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of food questions

new york
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A couple of food questions

A couple of food questions for GTO. I may be spending a couple of weeks there in September.

1. How is the washing of fruit and vegetables in restaurants? In other words, eating salads - OK?

2. Decent Vegetarian Eateries - I do not eat too much meat or fish and prefer eating alot of vegetarian dishes (and not just pizzas).

Thanks.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of food questions

We have never had a problem, but I always think the onions in fresh salsas may be suspect.

You have surely seen the EE.UU. onion issues.

Guess they are not treated (washed in Microdyne) like nearly all else.

Buen provecho!

M

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of food questions

Hi Pesh,

Most of the restaurants purify fruits and vegetables. If they didn't, people would get sick and wouldn't return.

The best rule of thumb I've heard is to eat in places that cater to the locals. If the restaurant is full of tourists, but no Mexicans, don't eat there.

Several restaurants serve good salads and/or vegetarian dishes.

Yamuna, a block from the post office on Calle del Sol, serves a very good set meal of the day. You can also order ala carte from the menu. The food is Indian/Hindu. I was told the owner learned to cook in the Hare Krishna temple in Mexico City. At any rate, the food is delicious!

El Unicorno Azul, just off Plaza Baratillo, is a health-food store that also offers some vegetarian food. There are only a couple of small tables, so you might want to get something to take with you.

El Midi, in Plaza San Fernando, serves mainly vegetarian food. The food is excellent and very fresh. You choose what you want from various prepared dishes and then pay by weight. There are indoor as well as outdoor tables.

El Abue, just off Plaza Baratillo, serves salads and some vegetarian dishes. The food is excellent! The prices are a bit expensive at night, but breakfasts are reasonable (35-45 pesos).

Casa Valadez, on the Jardin de la Union just across the street from Teatro Juarez, serves huge salads. There are many other choices as well, though most dishes have some meat or fish or chicken.

That should get you started.

Have a great time!

Cindi

www.mexican-living-guanajuato.com

new york
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of food questions

Thanks again Cindi.

4. Re: A couple of food questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 16:22