We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guanajuato or San Miguel de Allende

ago
Branford, CT
Level Contributor
199 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Guanajuato or San Miguel de Allende

I am a well travelled college professor who likes the exotic and interesting. I am interested in taking Spanish lessons for a week Oct31-Nov.4 and am trying to decide between these two locations.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for any input.

AGO

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guanajuato or San Miguel de Allende

Both are nice places to visit - colonial, rich history, small enough to maneuver on foot, etc. With just one week to study, it might not make any difference which of the two you choose. SMA is known as one of the two principal locations in Mexico for language training (Cuernavaca being the other). There are more learning opportunities/choices there. So, I recommend SMA (and, it's the location I chose for my studies). You'll be in the area for the Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) observance, a special time of year - and you can observe and/or participate in either of the two cities.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
206 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guanajuato or San Miguel de Allende

A vote for Guanajuato -- larger city, fewer Americans and just totally enchanting and magical, so many places to get lost in. Of course not everybody fancies getting lost!

Phoenix
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guanajuato or San Miguel de Allende

We just spent a week in SMA with a day trip to GTO. I'm sure you would enjoy either city, for entirely different reasons. GTO is more city like, with many students, for better and for worse. Don't know if, as a prof, you want more of that, or if you'd like to get away. There's more museums and other city stuff. SMA is much more town like. I don't understand people's comments about the number of Americans there. So what? First, there's not all that many - just enough to make English a little more widely understood in some places. If you want to get away from Americans and English, it's very easy to do. Second, SMA is still a very Mexican town where real people work in jobs other than tourism. It's packed with Mexican families visiting on the weekends. Many church fiestas and other celebrations with local color to spare. It's more of a mingling of cultures, a few Americans and Canadians who love the town, rather than the usual suspects of americanized tourism - ie, no senor frogs, hooters, time share, etc.

We found Josefina's school to be wonderful for a short class (one week). They were very flexible. Our instructor Griselda was excellent. I don't know if they're the best school overall for a more rigorous or longer program, but they were perfect for our short time there. Centro Mexicano de Lengua y Cultura de San Miguel, just off Ancha San Antonio, near the Instituto, at 15 Oriziba. I think they're on the infosma website.

One more point of distinction, SMA is notorious for it's good food, GTO is notorious for not having good food.

See my posts on the SMA sight for more info.

4. Re: Guanajuato or San Miguel de Allende

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2005, 01:51