We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halloween Party in GTOROCKS!

Arendal, Norway
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Topic
Halloween Party in GTOROCKS!

Looking for a Halloween Costume Party in Guanajauto, GTO!

Go to the "GTO Bar & Grill" and "Los Agaves" on Monday Night 31 de Octubre at 8pm for the "Fiesta de HALLOWEEN BOOZE CRUZ BASH" -

Dont Forget to come dressed up in your scary costume!!!

The following morning there will be a carvana of Jeeps and 4x4's headed to nearby Patzcuaro for the "Dia de los Muertos"

The Halloween Bash in GTO is a yearly Kids Benefit held by the Jeepster GTOROCKS 4x4 Club/Frog Wheel Drive Offroad Racing Team and Jeep Masters 4x4.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halloween Party in GTOROCKS!

Just what Patzcuaro needs - a booze cruise of drunks. What about preserving MEXICAN traditions, and not promoting Halloween? What part of the USA are you from?

Arendal, Norway
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Halloween Party in GTOROCKS!

Amigo,

No seas asi. You should not be like that this forum is open to all and there is nothing wrong with the post.

Debes te pensar antes de escribir. I was born in Morelia, Mich and studied in Austin, Texas and reside in GTOROCKS, GTO and on the coast of La Penita de Jaltemba, Nayarit. My father is a pianist from Michoacan "MANUEL PONCE" who studies at the musical conservatory of Las Rosas for 17 years and my Mother is from "Quanaxhuato". Yes, "Quanaxhuato" The first name given to this region was Mo-o-ti (moo-oh-tee), which means "metal layer zone". Back in Pre-Hispanic times it used to be called 'Paxtitlán' (Pash-titl-AN) by the Aztecs, which means "place (made) of straw". The earliest known inhabitants were the Otomi tribe who were later displaced by the Chichimecas. The name "Guanajuato" comes from the Purépecha word "Quanaxhuato" which means "Mountanous place of frogs".

If you think I do not know my mexican history come down to "Quanaxhuato" and I will be glad to show you the real Mejico! Ghost towns, historical places, and Virgin Playas, etc..

By the way our Halloween Booze Cruz is not all about drinking and partying. Its a fund raiser for the kids of GTO. We have held it since 2000 and have never had any problems.

On the contrary we believe in TREAD LIGHTLY RULES and when we go out four wheelng at other places we take food and medical supplies to people who need it that live in secluded areas. We also clean trash that others leave behind during festivals. We only drink moderately at the fogatas (campsite).

As far as promoting Halloween well it has been growing and the kids in Mexico love it. It is known here as the "Dia de las Brujas". Imagine if you were a kid here and did not get to celebrate Halloween. Even as an adult its fun to dress up and celebrate Halloween.

Regarding the Day of the Dead well Mexico honors those gone but not forgotten. This is a very special day for many of us and we like to celebrate it with a smile. It isn't difficult for foreigners to interpret dancing skeletons, candy skulls and general drunken revelry as disrespect for the dead and grief at human loss. Nothing could be further from the truth. For those accustomed to hushed voices, formal clothing, a solemn priest and an absence of children as fitting for the graveside, this festival flies in the face of propriety. Bright flowers, loud music, colorful decorations and seasonal sweets are characteristic of a popular cemetery anywhere in Mexico on the first two days of November.

This tradition has been relished in the past as uniquely Mexican. Nobel laureate Octavio Paz said, "The Mexican, is familiar with death, jokes about it, caresses it, sleeps with it, celebrates it; it is one of his toys and his most steadfast love."

I understand You probably think we are a crazy bunch but we are not. I love my country and will always preserve it. DE CORAZON!

Saludos y buen dia,

Lic. Jose Manuel Ponce Navarrete

Jeep Master Ponce

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halloween Party in GTOROCKS!

Excuse me for saying this, but if you're trying to pass-off "Halloween" as a Mexican traditional observance, I have some swamp land in the middle of the lake at Patzcuaro that I think you might be interested in buying.

My earlier comment dealt, or was meant to deal, with your promotion of what is clearly a booze event. And, in the a.m. you plan to pile into your jeeps and head for Patzcuaro? Please. Different strokes for different folks, but I'd be embarassed to attend one of these things for fear people would think that's who/what I really am - a screwball.

Have a good time. Drive safely. And leave the hordes of tourists alone in Patzcuaro. They can goof themselves up without much help.

Thanks for the reply.

Arendal, Norway
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Halloween Party in GTOROCKS!

AFTER HALLOWEEN WE SET FOR TO:

"Raising the Dead"

November marks one of Mexico's most lively traditions.

There is not just one Day of the Dead, but two - Day of the Little Dead, for children, on November 1, and Day of the Adult Dead, on November 2.

Some academics are critical of the historical roots of Día de Muertos and say that it is more about profit than respect for the dead. Certainly, in some parts of Mexico City, the holiday has become a full-fledged tourist attraction. Entrance fees to cemeteries have become the norm. But in other colonial cities it is different.

For Example, the November 1 Noche de Muertos ritual goes on whether tourists come or not. On the remote island of Pacanda on a lake in Michocán, as well as Yunuen, one rarely finds a tourist.

Visitors to the far islands need to bring their own food, as no tacos are sold, much less tourist trinkets. Moreover, the vigil also takes place at an unexpected time-not the witching hour of midnight. At the cementary on Pacanda, visitors begin to trickle in between 1 and 2 a.m. with bundles of food, stacks of long white candles, and materials to construct elaborate altars.

In contrast to urban graveyards, no one laughs or drinks here. While the graves are decorated, the atmosphere is industrious, and then settles into a reverie, as candles flicker and locals settle into their blankets for a long, cold night. It seems perfect for spirits of the departed to return and be with the living.

But Inevitably Halloween has come to Mexico via the United States, where begging has been transformed into "trick or treat." And yes for that day of the 31 we have accepted it and you are more likely to see children touring the local square at night with orange plastic pumpkins and asking for "mi Hjallo-gueen," as well as "mi calaverita." And there will be more Halloween costume Parties on the 31st as well. And we will keep the Halloween tradition going for 31st of October. But we will conserve el Dia de los Muertos Nov 1-2 as it should be with its traditions.

Arendal, Norway
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Halloween Party in GTOROCKS!

We are not trying to pass anything. Just trying to have a little clean fun. Halloween is fun and should be and cen be celebrated anywhere in the world. El Dia de los Muertos is different and falls on a totally different date. And like I said this day is very holy and special to us.

We have cabins near Patzcuaro and will not be drinking on the road.

Saludos and Happy Halloween y Feliz Dia de los Muertos.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halloween Party in GTOROCKS!

I wouldn't go back to Patzcuaro for Dia de los Muertos if you paid me. I routinely suggest that people stay away - because it's overrun with tourists. A very unpleasant experience. One can observe DoD all over Mexico, and I suggest that people stay in Guanajuato, SMA, Queretaro, Morelia, wherever . . . and refuse to be part of the circus that Patzcuaro and Oaxaca have become. But, to each his/her own. Thanks, again, for the further explanation of your excursion.

Arendal, Norway
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Halloween Party in GTOROCKS!

Exactly to each his own.