We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebrating El Grito en GTO

laredo, texas
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Celebrating El Grito en GTO

Hi y'all. Does anyone know what or if there will be any festivities on Sept 15 in GTO. The wife, kids n i will be there for 2 days. HELP! Cant wait. Love this city

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebrating El Grito en GTO

Hi cs4,

There is always a big gathering at the Alhóndiga for El Grito. People start gathering early in the evening to listen to various musical groups and to eat food from the vendors nearby.

This year, since it is both the Bicentennial and the Centennial year, President Calderon will give the Grito in Dolores Hidalgo. I don't know who will give the Grito in Guanajuato....it's usually the state governor or Guanajuato's mayor. I imagine the state governor will be in Dolores Hidalgo with the President, so the mayor or other government official will likely give El Grito this year.

If you haven't booked a place to stay, you should do it ASAP as Independence Day brings a lot of visitors to the city and many places are booked early.

Have a great time!

¡Viva México!

Sanibel, Florida
Level Contributor
199 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebrating El Grito en GTO

What a thrilling night it is when the crowd gathers to hear the Grito and shout VIVA MEXICO at every appropriate pause. The year we chose to stay awake and join the group in SMA it poured like crazy. We were awed at the fact that no one acted as though it was any kind of an inconvenience. Families including little children(always well behaved)squeezed in enthusiastically. We had prepared ourselves with all the historical knowledge we could and joined in VIVA MEXICO!.

Since then I have made sure to use educated

licensed tour guides whenever taking my small groups of Gringo companions

to the historic towns. Each one has a distinct and patriotic story. It has taken me quite a while, but I now am proud to say that I have absorbed a generous amount of Mexican history.

If you are a visitor and get the opportunity do not miss this bicentennial/centennial celebration.

3. Re: Celebrating El Grito en GTO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Guanajuato