We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating in the Hidalgo Mercado

Seattle
Level Contributor
343 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Eating in the Hidalgo Mercado

Last year we had delicious tortas in the mercado. On our return trip we would like to try other taste treats there. Does anyone have recommendations for the food in the mercado or the fondas adjacent to it?

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating in the Hidalgo Mercado

HI 409,

You can find a variety of foods at reasonable prices both inside Mercado Hidalgo as well as in the fondas to the left of the market (as you are facing the market with your back to the street). Just walk around and look for something that appeals to you.

Some of my favorite dishes are enchiladas mineras (a Guanajuato speciality), carnitas, sopa azteca and milanesa de pollo.

In the morning, there is a stand between the street and the market on the right-hand side of the market (as you face the market with your back to the street) where you can get delicious tamales. The vendor usually sells out around noon. My favorites are pollo con mole and acelga (Swiss chard) wrapped around a tamale filled with corn kernels and shredded cheese or shredded chicken in a red sauce made with.guajillo chilies (spicy, but not overly hot).

Have a great time!

Cindi

Seattle
Level Contributor
343 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating in the Hidalgo Mercado

Thanks for the info. We will for sure find the tamale vendor. We also had some gorditas on the street near a plaza that were very tasty. Our problem last year was that everything looked so great in and around the mercado. We only had time to try the tortas. This year we'll have more time to try things. If any specific place comes to mind, we'd love to hear about it.

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating in the Hidalgo Mercado

Hi 409,

For a really special meal, I always recommend Las Mercedes. The food, view and staff are second to none, as you can see from the reviews here on Trip Advisor. It's located in a residential area (the restaurant is in the owner's home), so you will probably need to take a taxi to get there.

If you like carnitas, try Carnitas Sam, which is between Plaza de la Paz (where the Basilica is located) and Mercado Hidalgo. You can order carnita tortas or carnitas by the kilo (or 1/2 kilo or 1/4 kilo). Be sure to try the nopalitos (cooked cactus pads) if they have them.

Wander around the downtown area, especially in the various plazas, and you will find many restaurants. I'm sure you'll find plenty of choices.

When do you plan to visit Guanajuato? Do you have a place to stay or do you need suggestions?

Again, have a great time!

Cindi

Seattle
Level Contributor
343 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating in the Hidalgo Mercado

Thanks Cindi,

We'll be staying for a week in January, in an apartment at La Casa de Dona Ana. Last year we stayed for 4 days.

Iowa
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating in the Hidalgo Mercado

When my husband & I are at the mercado we always have a shrimp cocktail. I am not sure of the name of the vendor,but it is on the main floor. Big shrimp ,onion, cilantro, avacado in a tasty tomato sauce/juice, yumm! : ) Add a Tecate, comes with garnish of lime & shrimp. Unforgetable.

Seattle
Level Contributor
343 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating in the Hidalgo Mercado

Thanks Later Later. Good tip, we'll check it out in 2 months!

7. Re: Eating in the Hidalgo Mercado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2012, 10:24