We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily car rental from downtown Guanajuato?

Which Guanajuato hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Daily car rental from downtown Guanajuato?

We are coming down in late May and would like the ability to take day trips to San Miguel de Allende and a few other spots while there. I'd rather not rent a car at the airport and have it all week, and we are perfectly comfortable taking a bus from the airport and taxis around town if necessary.

But if we plan on going further afield, are there local providers for daily car rentals? My husband speaks Spanish fluently, fyi.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daily car rental from downtown Guanajuato?

Not sure where you our staying but Central Guanajuato is a really difficult place to drive or park a car on the narrow crooked streets, many but alleys. Plus navigating the very confusing series of tunnels, the only way out of town, makes it even more difficult. Having spent a month there recently I took the bus to SMDA, Dolores Hidalgo & Leon. Safe inexpensive, frequent & very comfortable IMO the only way to go.

Guanajuato, GTO...
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daily car rental from downtown Guanajuato?

there are no car rentals in guanajuato.

Guanajuato, Mexico
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Daily car rental from downtown Guanajuato?

And there is no bus service from/to the airport. You need to arrange a driver in advance to pick you up or take the regulated airport taxi service [about 450 pesos last I knew] To get to SMA or Dolores or elsewhere take a Primera Plus or ETN bus then a cab into the centros historicos

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daily car rental from downtown Guanajuato?

There are few ETN and PP buses between Guanajuato and San Miguel and, as far as I know, none to Dolores. However, there are frequent second class services that are fast enough. Just turn up at the bus station and take the first that leaves: they are all 'de paso' so times are not fixed. The Guanajuato bus station is a taxi ride from the centre. The one in Dolores is just a couple of blocks from the main square so you don't need a cab there. You can walk to the centre of San Miguel in about fifteen minutes. Cabs are usually waiting (but often over-charge), or take any centro bound bus from the road outside for 5 pesos.

As others have said, a rental car is not very practical.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daily car rental from downtown Guanajuato?

Thank you for the replies. I have explored the bus systems and we are comfortable going that route, I was just wondering if there happened to be any car hire companies operating from GTO. And it seems the answer is no! We will work around it...

6. Re: Daily car rental from downtown Guanajuato?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 06:18