We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary

Mexico
Level Contributor
468 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary

We will be in Guanajuato next weekend, 2 adults and 9 yo girl. First time so would like a nice overview of the city. Some of the things we would like to see: Teatro Juarez, Callejon del Beso, Alhondiga, Pipila, Momias, Museo de Leyendas, Jardin de la Union, Castillo Santa Cecilia, Callejoneada and Mina Valenciana. We will be there on Friday around 5-6 pm and all Saturday, and we could stay Sunday too, but are trying to figure out if we need to. We will arrive by car.

Any thoughts about how we should see this or how we could plan it? Self-visit, guided tour, trolley? Anything we're missing? Do we need Fri & Sat night?

Thank you

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary

Hi,

There is a trolley tour of the main points of interest that you can take. I believe the tour is only in Spanish. You can find the trolley in front of the Basilica...the big yellow church on Plaza de la Paz just a block from the Jardin de la Union.

The callejoneadas start in front of the San Diego church in front of the Jardin de la Union. I'm not positive of the time, but the desk clerk at your hotel should be able to tell you. I think they used to leave around 8 p.m.

You can easily walk to Callejon del Beso from the Jardin de la Union. Just walk from the Jardin toward Plaza de la Paz...away from Teatro Juarez, which is across from the Jardin...and keep going straight. The street will narrow and you will see a Bancomer bank on your right. Go another block and you will come to Plaza de los Angeles, which has a Banamex bank on the left. Go straight past the plaza steps and Callejon del Beso will be on your left...the first alleyway after you leave the plaza.

To get to the Alhondiga, go back to Plaza de los Angeles and turn left. You will see an Oxxo on the left and a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant on the right. Walk a long block and you will see Mercado Hidalgo on the left....worth a visit. Across from Mercado Hidalgo, you will see a street that is perpendicular to the street you were walking on (Avenida Juarez). Walk up the hill and the Alhondiga will be on your left.

To get to the Mummy museum, you can hail a cab on the street either in front of the Alhondiga or go back down to Avenida Juarez in front of Mercado Hidalgo. Cabs are green or white. I think the fare to the Mummy museum is $30 or $35 pesos.

You can hail a cab to take you to Valenciana. Definitely take the time to see the church in the main plaza in Valenciana. It is small, but spectacular. It was funded by the owner of the Valenciana mine. To get to the mine, face the church and go down the passageway to the right of the church.

To get to the Pipila statue, take the funicular...the cable car...up the mountain. The ticket office is behind Teatro Juarez...face the theatre and go down the passageway to the left past the outdoor cafe. The ticket office is on the left just before you get to the tunnel. You can buy a ticket just for the funicular or you can buy one the includes admission to the museum at the top. There are several shops between the upper funicular station and the Pipila statue. You can climb inside the statue to get a better view. The admission to the statue used to be $2 pesos, but it may have gone up since I was there last.

You can walk back down to the Jardin from the Pipila or take the funicular back down.

The easiest way to get to Casa de las Leyendas is to take a cab.

Castillo Santa Cecilia is a hotel. If you take a cab from the downtown area to Valenciana, you can see the hotel as you pass by. It looks like a castle. If you want to stop and take a look, ask the cab driver to stop and wait for you, which will add a bit to the fare. I'm not sure if there's really anything to see there. It's not an old hotel...it was just built to look old.

A couple of other places that might be of interest are the Don Quijote museum, the Diego Rivera house and museum, Museo del Pueblo, Museo del Sitio, the San Diego church and the Basilica.

The Don Quijote museum is one long block from Teatro Juarez. Walk on the street in front of the theatre and go past it. You will be going away from the Jardin. Go one long block and you'll see the museum on your right. It's on a small plaza.

The Diego Rivera museum is about a block from the Alhondiga. Exit the Alhondiga and turn right. Keep going straight past the street you climbed from Mercado Hidalgo. The museum will be on your left.

On the same street, you will find the Museo del Pueblo. Keep walking the same direction...away from the Alondiga. You will pass a tunnel entrance to your left. Keep going straight a very long block. The museum will be on your left. It's housed in the former home of the owners of the Rayas mine. A few steps further on, you will come to the University of Guanajuato. It's a pretty impressive sight.

The Museo del Sitio is underneath the San Diego church. Guanajuato used to be at a lower level than the present-day city. You will see a little of the original church and part of the convent that was attached to the church. The church itself was raised after severe flooding in the 1700's, I believe.

The San Diego church and the Basilica are also interesting places to visit. Some of the weathy mine owners are buried in one of the chapels inside the San Diego church. The statue of Mary in the Basilica was a gift from King Philip II of Spain in 1557. It's said that the statue was carved in 714 A.D. in Spain, then hidden in caves from the Moors for 800 years.

You won't need a car once you are in town, so it's best to leave it parked at your hotel.

Where will you be staying? If you are driving into Guanajuato, the streets and underground tunnels can be quite confusing to navigate.

Have a great trip!

Cindi

Mexico
Level Contributor
468 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary

Thanks for all this information, very helpful. We will be staying at the HI Express, since we're going to a gymnastic competition with our daughter, and that's where the team will be staying. I know it's far from downtown, but we can leave the car there.

What do you think of driving to the Museo de Leyendas and to the Mina Valenciana? Sounds like everything else is easy to walk to.

Would we be able to do everything on Saturday or should we stay until Sunday? We live in Gdl so we can drive back home anytime, and I was thinking of stopping at the Cristo Rey on the way back home.

Is the Trolley tour a better option?

Thank you

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary

Hi,

The trolley tour will give you an overview of town, but you can walk around the center of town yourselves and see most of the things you mentioned that were of interest.

The Holiday Inn used to have a shuttle service to the downtown area, but I'm not sure that is still available.

As far as driving in town, I just wouldn't recommend it. There are several one-way streets and the tunnels can be confusing to navigate. Besides that, parking is sometimes difficult to find. Taxis are inexpensive and may turn out to be less expensive than paying for parking...not to mention making your trip less nerve-wracking.

I don't know if you can do and see everything you mentioned in one day. To me, it seems like you might feel rushed. I would stay over until Sunday, then make a stop at Cristo Rey on your way back to Guadalajara. It can be very chilly and windy on top of Cristo Rey, so be sure to bring a sweater or jacket.

Take care and have a great visit!

Cindi

Mexico
Level Contributor
468 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary

Thanks a lot!!

Mexico
Level Contributor
468 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary

Another question. Do you know how is the Parque Guanajuato Bicentenario nowadays? Is it worth the visit with a 9 yo? I was wondering if it has been kept well after last years' celebrations. It will be on our way to Cristo Rey, so we could stop there on Sunday too.

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary

Yes, the Bicentennial Park is still open. I know there are activities there from time to time, but I'm not sure if it's open daily. You could ask the staff at the Holiday Inn about it or ask at the tourist kiosk in the Jardin de la Union for information. There are various exhibitions that I think your 9-year-old would enjoy.

Take care and have a wonderful time!

Cindi

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary

My favorite city in this World. It is so great for walking with the many plazas & other sights. Cindi's list is perfect.

8. Re: Help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 05:19