We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding a place to live in Guanajuato

Greenock, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Finding a place to live in Guanajuato

Hi there everyone!

I am a Scottish student and will be studying at a language school in Guanajuato for 5 months (March to July)

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about finding a room or an appartment in Guanajuato, and any advice while choosing, and what cautions to take. Ideally I would like to live with Mexican students, does anyone think this is possible? Any areas to avoid?

Cheers,

Jamie

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
590 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding a place to live in Guanajuato

Shouldn't be too hard to find a "Casa Asistencia" in Guanajuato, which is basically room and board at someones house that takes in students. if you speak Spanish already that is.

You are staying in the capital correct?

Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding a place to live in Guanajuato

Hi Jamie,

I replied to your e-mail with some information about finding a place to live in Guanajuato.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Cindi

Greenock, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding a place to live in Guanajuato

Yes, Guanajuato city :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding a place to live in Guanajuato

We just came back and felt safe just about every where we went. We loved it and so will you. In fact, it probably be better for you since it full of students from the local University. I personally saw many signs for apartments for rent. I can't comment on the the student thing since we were 2 middle age fogies with our daughter. If you read Spanish already try to look up the University of Guanjauto site and see if there are any info for student rentals. Centro district was full of students. I saw rental signs going for $500/mo just outside of Centro......

Greenock, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding a place to live in Guanajuato

Nice! Did yous have a good time in Mexico?

There does seem a lot of places to rent. Im in fact close to choosing one at 4500 mexican pesos per month (a bit more expensive than other places but still extremely cheap compared to Scotland) and it is furnished with 2 floors, all bills and internet and TV included.

I feel finding somewhere to live before I get there will take a lot of stress of my shoulders. However I shall think about it more.

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
590 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding a place to live in Guanajuato

Geez.. $4500 pesos a month. Ya you should be getting a house with that kind of money. Electricity is included? Very odd, you should check on that.

Greenock, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Finding a place to live in Guanajuato

well it is kind of a house. it will be on my own, 2 floors, and yeah all included

Greenock, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Finding a place to live in Guanajuato

http://rentar-casa.vivanuncios.com.mx/rentar-departamento+ciudad-guanajuato/departamento-muy-bonito-en-renta-en-guanajuato-capital/91365794

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
590 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finding a place to live in Guanajuato

Sounds good, although i'm really sure you could get for less.

It is probably an apartment built onto the owners house so they can keep taps on everything. You will not have AC , obviously with the electric bill included, but then it doesnt get really hot in Guanajuato like in other parts of Mexico, but to someone from Scotland it could be very hot to you. Its actually 84 degrees there today .

Greenock, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Finding a place to live in Guanajuato

Yeah. I think maybe it is best to go there, stay in a hotel for a week or so and look while I am there. Then im more sure, and maybe will find somewhere cheaper.