We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Hour Stopover in Mexico City - Help with the Metrobus?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
10 Hour Stopover in Mexico City - Help with the Metrobus?

We will arrive at Mexico City International Airport Terminal 2 at 2:15pm and our flight to Lima (also Terminal 2) is at 11:40pm.

We're planning to take the Metrobus 4 out to Zocalo square to visit some of the sights and to try the local cuisine. We will likely stay around Zocalo and perhaps walk over to the Museo Nacional De Arte for a few photos.

I'm assuming that we should probably hop on the Metrobus 4 and head back to the airport around 8:30pm. We understand that this is a huge airport so even though we have a long stopover, we're only planning to spend about 4 hours in the city itself.

However, we can't seem to figure out where we should go to when we want to return back to the airport. Does anybody have an address or map showing the bus stops for Metrobus 4?

5 replies to this topic
Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Hour Stopover in Mexico City - Help with the Metrobus?

Here is the map, which is superimposed over Google Maps.

…cdmx.gob.mx/mapas-de-sistema/mapa-linea-4

BTW, when you say "Museo Nacional de Arte for a few photos" do you mean Belles Artes, which is one of the main photogenic spots in the city...or do you really mean the Museum?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Hour Stopover in Mexico City - Help with the Metrobus?

Thank you! Oops, yes I meant Belles Artes!

Does the Metrobus 4 route go in a loop or will there be buses going both directions? Also, how frequent are the Metrobuses?

BC
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Hour Stopover in Mexico City - Help with the Metrobus?

Gabriel, the airport is not what I would call huge. It takes far longer to change gates in Vancouver, so you won't have any problems in Terminal 2.

https://www.aicm.com.mx

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Hour Stopover in Mexico City - Help with the Metrobus?

Line 4 goes through the centro historico in two separate routes. Ruta norte runs north of the Zocalo, and ruta sur runs south south of the centro historico. It's not a big loop around the centro, the buses travel in both directions on both the ruta norte and ruta sur.

The airport buses are only on the ruta norte, which passes north of the Zocalo, and only specially marked buses go to the airport. They cost 30 pesos as opposed to the regular metrobus fare of 6 pesos.

Once you board at the airport (either terminal) the bus will follow the ruta norte and to get to the Zocalo, you can get off at the stations marked Republica de Argentina or Republica de Chile. (The buses only stop at designated stations and they are clearly marked, like in a subway) From there, it's only a few blocks walk south to Zocalo

To get back to the airport you can board at the Bellas Artes station, which is on the Ruta Norte, going in the direction towards the airport. but again, not all buses will go to the airport. The rest go only as far as San Lazaro. The airport buses are specifically marked as such and have the fare of 30 pesos posted on the windshield. The bus stops at both terminals

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer…

Here is the map, with pictures in orange marking the metrobus stations. You will travel on the line north of the downtown in both directions. Hope this makes sense.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Hour Stopover in Mexico City - Help with the Metrobus?

What day are you flying out of Vancouver? I have the same flight as you on Aeromexico going to Lima!

I was wondering what I would do with the time in Mexico city too because of the earthquake.

Some people were saying it's safer to not leave the airport because you might miss your connecting flight.

Reply to: 10 Hour Stopover in Mexico City - Help with the Metrobus?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted