We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquake Travel

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Topic
Earthquake Travel

My wife and I, as well as our three small kids, are scheduled to go to Mexico City on Friday. We have been very excited about this trip for the past six months, but we don't want to interfere with any recovery efforts or disrespect a struggling community by showing up as tourists a few days after an earthquake. Any thoughts? Thank you.

134 replies to this topic
KC MO
Level Contributor
665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earthquake Travel

First I would check to see if your flight will be able to land. 2nd is your rental damaged. If it is a resort with no damage I would still go. The workers might need the tourist dollars perhaps to help rebuild or help family members who lost everything. If not a resort/hotel that has every thing I needed right there I might consider staying home and out of their way.

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Earthquake Travel

Hi. Thanks for your reply. We were planning to stay in Mexico City the entire trip (four days) at an AirBnB.

Toronto
Level Contributor
487 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earthquake Travel

Have you already contacted your host? You might want to consult this map, which shows the major areas of damage -- it's roughly along a north-south axis through the city:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/viewer…

If my apartment were close to one of the heavily affected areas, I'd definitely consider rescheduling or rearranging this somehow.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earthquake Travel

Hi All

Firstly I would like to express my sympathy for this tragedy and secondly I would like to know from someone who lives in Mexico City whether the capital has been damaged extensively or whether the media is exaggerating things as they usually do.

Thanks!

Juan Aldama...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Earthquake Travel

I don´t live in Mexico City, I live in another part of Mexico, but have talked to several family members, and in some areas it is very, very bad. I have only seen news coverage in Mexico, and it is very, very bad. I don´t know what they are reporting outside of Mexico, but the death toll is already at 150 with many people missing.

dallas
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Earthquake Travel

Although I live in Dallas, TX, we have the Latino cable package. We have extensive news coverage on multiple channels.

At 2:30 this morning when I turned on the news, Milenio and Televisa still had live coverage. The death toll was 217, but that number included deaths in surrounding towns.

Extensive damage? Depends on what one calls extensive. I commented to a friend this morning that it was strange that all the coverage was of Roma Norte and La Condesa. What about the poor areas? I think it will be a while until we know the extent of the damage. They were digging out a school this morning with children inside.

One thing apart from actual buildings and deaths, is infrastructure damage. The airport sustained some damage. Time will tell. The reporting was concentrating on the human tragedy. The efforts concentrated on removing the debris in the hope of finding those still alive.

Loreto, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Loreto
Level Contributor
555 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Earthquake Travel

Some early reports have rescuers saying - if you are here, here's how to help, if you aren't here, don't come.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Earthquake Travel

There's plenty of damage, whether it is extensive or not depends on the definition, but I don't think the media is exaggerating. It is very bad. I live north of the city and my area was not damaged, but everyone in my family who was in DF at the time seems to have seen a collapsed or damaged building. Rescue teams, military, ambulances, etc are running all day.

I honestly don't know what to say here. In my opinion, you don't disrespect a struggling community just by showing up, it is all about the attitude. Judging by your reservations, I don't think you'll be taking selfies or doing silly things (which some locals are doing, anyway). People also need at least sense of normalcy after a tragedy like this one and having a family visiting a restaurant or a museum can help with that. I don't really know and sorry I cannot help.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
459 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Earthquake Travel

Thanks for you reply. Once the situation settles a little bit if it is not too much trouble to ask it someone could let us know which areas of the city are affected the most, that would be good.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Earthquake Travel

Check the map of the crumbled buildings here

milenio.com/df/sismo_hoy-sismo_mexico-ciudad…

It is managed by Proteccion Civil. I don't know how to translate that....I don't know if civil protecion means anything, but it's a public organization to provide relief and handle disaster situations.

Reply to: Earthquake Travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted