We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Merced

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Topic
La Merced

Can anyone give us advice on visiting La Merced? We have read many books and articles that make it sound interesting and even an essential part of a visit to Mexico City. We especially enjoy visiting food markets when we travel, and our primary reason for wanting to go is to see the different fruit, vegetable, chile, and food vendors. However, we have heard some unexpected and emphatic advice to avoid it (and that from a friend who grew up in Mexico City) because it is dangerous. Can someone help us reconcile the differing opinions? We have traveled widely and typically try to remain inconspicuous. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Merced

Well, the La Merced neighborhood is dicey and infamous for high levels of blatant prostitution. I've never actually been to the market, but I've driven through the neighborhood on the way to the airport, and the area didn't inspire confidence, to say the least.

However, I don't think La Merced is dangerous like the La Laguanilla and Tepito markets are. Nobody ever told me that the market itself is dangerous; just the slums surrounding it.

If I were you, I would go...don't go alone, go on a Saturday so you can attempt to blend in with the Saturday shopping crowd, take the metro (don't walk) and don't linger in the surrounding neighborhood, don't bring an expensive-looking camera...

If you do go, be sure to write a trip report on this forum so we all know how it was.

London
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La Merced

Hi hittintheroad

If you like food markets, La Mercad will blow you away and it's definitely worth visiting - it's absolutely huge. I visited when I was last in Mexico City on the suggestion of friends who live in the city. I went on a Saturday morning and it was packed with people. As others have mentioned, the area around La Merced looks a bit dicey so just take the Metro to and from the La Merced station. Other usual precautions apply - no valubles, expensive cameras etc etc.

Enjoy

Philip

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Merced

...and after your visit to La Merced market if you walk 3 or four blocks south on the main ave (Anillo de Circunvalacion) you will find the Mercado de Sonora, an interesting place famous for the witchcraft items sold there. And not far from those places you can find the markes of La Viga and Jamaica, both famous for the seafood and flowers respectively. In general, every market in mexico City is a place to discover.

M

Mexico City D.F.
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Merced

I'm also a native Oregonian and rather typical looking Gringo. I happened to visit La Merced yesterday to buy Christmas decorations. Yes, it is huge. I go there often and often get lost. I live a block from the Metro, Line 1, which takes me directly to the market. I've never had a bit of trouble there, except for getting lost.

Go! Q

new york
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: La Merced

I get totally lost and and enjoy the "maze" of finding my way out of there.

6. Re: La Merced

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 11:18