We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mexico city neighborhoods; other cties, towns, history

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
somerville, new...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
mexico city neighborhoods; other cties, towns, history

What are good Mexico City neighborhoods to stay in;to explore,experience, eat in? I have seen Condesa, Zona rosa mentioned...am interested in the personality and characteristics of these neighborhoods and others.

We have never been to Mexico yet, but have enjoyed exploring several cities in Europe - favorite experiences involved the squares and cafes in Spain, especially in Seville...perhaps there is a similar culture in Mexico City (as well as elsewhere in Mexico)...Please excuse the rambling - We are not planning the trip yet; just getting a feel for the place so we will have some ideas when we are ready to plan.

Any information or opinions about Mexico City or other cities/towns in Mexico that we might go to in a span of about 2 weeks would be appreciated.

We are also interested in history, not just cities and towns.

Gracias!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mexico city neighborhoods; other cties, towns, history

I stay in Centro Historico or across from Alameda park. My favorite hotel is a little place called the Hotel Gillow. There is a Holiday Inn at the Zocalo and some newer, slightly better places across from Alameda park.

As with any big city, you have to be aware of what is going on in the neighborhoods. If you walk out the hotel door and something doesn't feel right ... turn around, go back in and call for a sitio taxi to come pick you up to take you to your destination.

I like Centro Historico due to it's proximity to Templo Mayor and some good restaurants.

When you visit Teotihuacan, take a taxi to Terminal Norte and get a bus that will drop you off at the ruins. That way, you can stay all day (which still won't be enough time) before you get a bus back to Terminal Norte or Indios Verdes metro station.

As far as other places ... Cuernavaca and Taxco are good. I've gone out to Veracruz and Catemaco (day trip from Veracruz/in the rainforest), but also La Antigua on a day trip to see the ruins of Cortez's house and the tree he tied the ships to before he scuttled them.

somerville, new...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mexico city neighborhoods; other cties, towns, history

Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mexico city neighborhoods; other cties, towns, history

I personally like Condesa as it is not touristy and it is pretty safe to wander around. There are lots of restaurants with outdoor dining as well as lots of cafes. It is compared to soho in NYC although it definitely has a Mexican flavour to it!

Katrine

somerville, new...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mexico city neighborhoods; other cties, towns, history

Thanks Katrine! That area sounds appealing - we like to see the sights but also get some sense of residential neighborhoods... to the degree that one can in a short period of time.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mexico city neighborhoods; other cties, towns, history

It is. My dad was born and grew up in Condesa. The neighborhood keeps a lot of it's 20's charm once you get into the park. If you plan to utilize sitio taxis, Condesa is fine to sightsee from. Not great metro access like Centro Historico, but closer to Chapultepec Park and those museums. And less hectic than Centro Historico.

My Grandfather's business was in Centro Historico; which is why I feel comfortable there. Either neighborhood would be fine.

I recently found a photograph taken of me at the Seville bullring 30 years ago last summer. It would be a matter of honor to help you.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mexico city neighborhoods; other cties, towns, history

Coyoacan would also be an interesting neighborhood to stay in (too bad there aren't many hotels there.)

Read more here:

http://www.mexicocity.com.mx/coyoa2.html

Also, Coyoacan is one of the safest neighborhoods in Mexico City.

somerville, new...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: mexico city neighborhoods; other cties, towns, history

Thanks Coyoacan - I will definitely do some reading about the area and check out the website!

somerville, new...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: mexico city neighborhoods; other cties, towns, history

Thanks JCS27 for the info on Coyoacan - I will be checking out the website soon.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mexico city neighborhoods; other cties, towns, history

Coyoacan is nice, but very crowded at weekends and a bit too much of a schlep into the centre, as there is no metro very close.

I'd go for Condesa and stay at the wonderful Red Tree House.

10. Re: mexico city neighborhoods; other cties, towns, history

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 22:17