We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area of Mexico City--with outdoor cafes, etc ?

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best area of Mexico City--with outdoor cafes, etc ?

I am trying to book an economy/budget hotel/B&B in a lively part of Mexico City. I am looking for sidewalk cafes, a real neighobrhood feel, like Paris [NOT the Champs Elysees area, but the residential areas]...maybe with trees and a small park. Doesn't have to be upscale, just safe, comfortable, with lots of little shops, etc.

I am bringing my teen duaghter to Meixco and we stay in Mexico City for 2 days. She likes to leave the hotel room and walk out on her own--in Lima, Peru she did it, left our condo by herself and walked down the street a few blocks to Starbucks to get herself breakfast in the morning. In Paris she walks out to get herself a sandwich or a crepe, maybe browses the magazines in a mom & pop bookstore.

I am looking for that same kind of neighborhood. Please give streets and zip (postal) codes, as that's what I am using as my reference tool on mapping my hotel choices.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area of Mexico City--with outdoor cafes, etc ?

You'll want to be in Condesa, around Parque España and Parque Mexico. Loads of cafes and restaurants, leafy, safe. I walked back from my friend's hotel at 11.30 the other night and there were still people out jogging and walking their dogs.

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area of Mexico City--with outdoor cafes, etc ?

I second Londinense,... that's the place

To begin your search check hotel Condesa DF

mexicoboutiquehotels.com/condesadf/index.sht…

or hotel Casa De La Condesa

www.casadelacondesahotel.com

If you go to wikimapia.org and enter "Condesa DF" in the search box you'll get a picture of the area.

M

South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area of Mexico City--with outdoor cafes, etc ?

Thanks SO MUCH for explaining to me how to map the area, I didn't even know where to start.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area of Mexico City--with outdoor cafes, etc ?

Once you arrive in Condesa you'll find a free map showing all the bars and cafes etc.

Condesa DF is expensive (that's where my friend was staying but he was on business) and is famous for being noisy. But it's very chic.

The other place has its aficionados. Isn't it in Roma though? (Just across Insurgentes and another lively area)

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
533 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area of Mexico City--with outdoor cafes, etc ?

My wife and I recently stayed at the Casa Gonzalez, near Insurgentes Ave and metro station. I believe it's on Rio Sena 69, and the area is very lively. Lots of Starbucks and outdoor restaurants and some fantastic street food vendors. A safe neighborhood for "browsing". we both enjoyed the area a lot.

toronto
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area of Mexico City--with outdoor cafes, etc ?

How far would Condesa be from the Sheraton Centro Hitorico?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area of Mexico City--with outdoor cafes, etc ?

From the Centro Historico you can take the metro (with one change) to Chilpancingo, which is a short walk from the southern part of Condesa. A sitio taxi shouldn't be more than $80. It's too far to walk realistically.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area of Mexico City--with outdoor cafes, etc ?

Great B&B in Condesa is the Red Tree House. I will be there during Easter weekend on my home from the Pacific coast. It is really comfortable, reasonable and Jorge is the best host around. I have also stayed at Condes DF and really liked it there, but it has a hefty pricetag.

I will have my 12 year old son with me so we will see how he likes it in Condesa.

Katrine

Haverford...
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area of Mexico City--with outdoor cafes, etc ?

I might suggest Coyoacan for the nieighborhood feeling. But I don't know any hotels there. But the plaza in Coyoacan is just charming and the neighborhood feels very sweet, with scattered parks, shops, etc. Maybe other people on the list could suggest hotels or B&Bs in Coyoacan?

Have a great trip!

Boston
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area of Mexico City--with outdoor cafes, etc ?

How far is the Four Seasons from Condesa?