We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest attraction area to stay near the Mexico City Airport

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Closest attraction area to stay near the Mexico City Airport

I'm looking to book a hotel for one night but I need to book close to the airport (but not so close where I won't have anything to do). Is there a zone for shopping/night life/restaurants that is within a 30-60 minute drive from the airport in Mexico City? I'm asking because I hear traffic is bad and I have an early afternoon flight that I need to catch and want to make the best of my one night stay. Any ideas or suggestions?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest attraction area to stay near the Mexico City Airport

The airport is only 30 minutes away from the center (on a good day - allow for an hour on your return though) so you could stay in any of the tourist areas such as Polanco, Reforma, Condesa, Roma or Zócalo without going too far.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest attraction area to stay near the Mexico City Airport

I'll suggest a hotel anywhere in the corridor spanning the area along Paseo de la Reforma from the Alameda Central to Chapultepec Park. Is there a price-range you want to zero-in on?

If you've driven in Toronto traffic, you won't think Mexico City's is much different. Getting from the airport to your hotel can take from 15-minutes to a half-hour - depending upon time of day/special events, etc. Going back to the airport you'll want to follow the advice previously given . . . that you allow for an hour. You should be inside the airport at least two hours prior to a departure for an international (out of Mexico) flight.

Give us an idea about your room budget and you'll get some good suggestions by people familiar with the city.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest attraction area to stay near the Mexico City Airport

a "p.s.": when I saw your location as "Ontario" I assumed it meant Ontario, Canada. However, if you're in Ontario, California - your experience driving in the Metropolitan LA area will have conditioned you very well for traffic in Mexico City.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest attraction area to stay near the Mexico City Airport

ha ha -- no I am in Toronto, Ontario Canada. And Toronto traffic is bad during rush hours 7-9am 4-7pm. Everyone I know from Mexico told me it could take up to 3 hours to get from the airport to Reforma. I have booked La Sevilla in Reforma for a few nights. Then I'm going to Acapulco for 5 nights, then back to Mexico City for an additional night. This was the night I was inquiring about. I'd love to stay at the Hotel Habita but considering I'll get there around 6pm and have to check out at 10am - it won't be worth the money. I might stay at the Emporio in Reforma.

This information has been very helpful.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest attraction area to stay near the Mexico City Airport

I think there's a lot of bad advice regarding traffic in Mexico City. I've lived in Los Angeles, Toronto and Chicago (and have oftentimes commuted in New York City and other major metropolitan areas) . . . three cities with heavy traffic . . . and I judge the traffic in Mexico City to be no more challenging than when I've driven in those cities (and less than what I've experienced in Dublin, Ireland, or London, England, etc.).

In non-rush hour periods in Mexico City it'll probably take you 30 minutes to get from the airport to that hotel. After 9 p.m. and before 8 a.m it'll probably take 15-minutes to cover that distance.

There can be exceptions, though, like there are exceptions in other big cities - when there's a highway accident, as one good example. The traffic in Mexico City moves, though - sometimes slowly, but it moves . . . not like in Los Angeles (or sometimes on the 401 near Toronto - or on the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago - when things come to a complete halt.

Allowing an hour to get back to the airport and planning to be in the airport at least 2 hours prior to an international departure helps to insure that you'll not have any problems flying out.

------------------------

My photos of Acapulco:

The city: travel.webshots.com/album/257206451PTuofl

Along the waterfront: travel.webshots.com/album/549645992almLfq

Some nearby beaches: travel.webshots.com/album/549645979UZZZEW

Cliffdivers: travel.webshots.com/album/549814575kitTvh

Mask Museum: travel.webshots.com/album/220789710rSKjLT

Ft. San Diego: travel.webshots.com/album/217277863cUowOD

Acapulco's colorful busses: travel.webshots.com/album/218392031RCNtxr

Palma Sola: travel.webshots.com/album/100370918GormmW

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closest attraction area to stay near the Mexico City Airport

I meant to say, also - that I lived in Mexico City for six years in the 1990's and I've visit several times a year since - including times when I'm driving a car on the streets/highways.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Closest attraction area to stay near the Mexico City Airport

hi, I just stayed at the Emporio Reforma and they have 24 hour taxi/bellman/front desk service. See my review if you want.

On Easter Sunday at 4am, I got to the airport in about 25 minutes or less, which was ample time for my 6:30am flight. Another woman shared my taxi and she had a 5:55am flight and still did fine. (Both were international flights). The price was great and the buffet for breakfast was heavenly at the Emporio Reforma. Go to their website for the most detail and any specials on your booking. If price is a concern, than try the other travel agency engines, like Orbitz, etc.

Another nice option is the Red Tree House, but it is a little further away from the airport than my hotel. It depends on what you are interested in doing. The historic Centro district is closest to the airport. Coyoacan is farthest, I think.

Although I'm not a destination expert, since I just returned and the city is fresh on my mind, if I can be of any help, feel free to message me.

Have a great trip!

8. Re: Closest attraction area to stay near the Mexico City Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 00:18