We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City's plans for the holiday season

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
414 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City's plans for the holiday season

FROM BLOOMBERG

La pista de hielo más grande del mundo vuelve al zócalo de

2008-11-12 23:21:55.410 GMT

Ciudad de México

México, 12 nov (EFE).- La pista de hielo gratuita más grande del

mundo, con 3.200 metros cuadrados, será instalada por segundo año

consecutivo en el zócalo de Ciudad de México, informó hoy la

alcaldía de la ciudad, que espera superar los cinco millones de

visitantes durante la temporada navideña.

La secretaria de Cultura del Gobierno del Distrito Federal (GDF),

María Elena Zepeda, dijo en declaraciones a Efe que el proyecto,

duramente criticado el año pasado por la oposición, tiene como

objetivo "satisfacer el derecho ciudadano para utilización del

tiempo libre y el esparcimiento".

El éxito obtenido hace un año con la atracción, que fue visitada

por cuatro millones de personas, animó al Gobierno del Distrito

Federal encabezado por el izquierdista Marcelo Ebrard, a destinar un

presupuesto de más de diez millones de pesos (unos 770.000 dólares)

para transformar de nuevo la plancha del zócalo capitalino en un

espacio lúdico invernal.

La alcaldía capitalina cuenta este año con un certificado del

Libro Guiness que acredita a la pista de patinaje de hielo

artificial como la más grande del mundo.

Según Zepeda, el centro histórico se convertirá en el lugar donde

las familias mexicanas tendrán la oportunidad de divertirse y

convivir con sus seres queridos.

-

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City's plans for the holiday season

I didn't like the ice rink as it was a hideous eyesore last year. Hundreds (thousands?) of people were in line every time I went past. Strange....

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City's plans for the holiday season

As a resident I agree but tourists find it fascinating and it does beat the usual manifestación in the Zocalo. The Christmas lights in the Zocalo are nice and there are plans for the Nativity Scene competition along Reforma (closer to Zona Rosa) again.

The ice rink beats the former Coca-Cola tree that was at the main gates of Chapultepec Park for years until an electric short caused a fire and sent people running. I bet some people still have nightmares of that fire. I remember being in awe as I drove past and saw the flames.

It also beats the ugle Ferrer Rocher tree in Santa Fe mall - the same one from last year is in the center court again this year. Ugly and too commercial.

There are a couple of homes in Mexico City's middle class neighborhoods (one is in Campestre Churubusco with 1000's of figurines in their nativity scene; there is also a whole block in del Valle where each house competes for more elaborate decor.) that do amazing jobs of their decorations. I do not remember the addresses and since I was a kid I have loved to see these homes and make the long drive across the city each year to do it. If someone has the list, please post them. I just sort of find them each year from memory.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City's plans for the holiday season

Yeah, it's horrible, but the ice rink is a service for people with limited income, just like the artificial beaches. It was a success last year and I think people in this chaotic city deserve enjoying something that is associated with countries they cannot afford to visit. Props to the city government for this.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico City's plans for the holiday season

You might want to present an English-translation of the notice you've posted about activities.

Regarding the ice rink: businesspersons almost unanimously seemed to hate the idea and it disrupted typical and traditional activities in the Zocalo and nearby businesses. It's origination is part of the mayor's early campaign for the Presidency. Tourists I know, from abroad, loved it - though - and people reading this might want to take advantage of the opportunity.

Probably more importantly for the holiday season - Christmas and the Los Reyes January events - are things going on at the Revolution Monument. That's where lots of local folks will be hanging-out with their children.

The center of the city, and Paseo de la Reforma, will be well-decorated with festive lights - and it's a very nice time to be in Mexico City. Bring warm clothes, for cool/cold night temperatures, though.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico City's plans for the holiday season

Queston for the "Capitalinos":

Did the city move some of the "Los Reyes" exhibits/commercial activities to areas along Paseo de la Reforma, between the Revolution Monument and Angel of Independence, last year? If so, any indication if that'll be repeated? Or, will things still be centered at the large open spaces surrounding the Revolution Monument? Thanks.

6. Re: Mexico City's plans for the holiday season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 12:22