We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me pick colonial cities around Mexico City.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help me pick colonial cities around Mexico City.

Hi,

I'm planning my first trip to Mexico. I'll fly to MEX and have 7 full days for travelling. I plan to visit Mexico City and Teotihuacan for 3 days, so I have 4 days for colonial cities in that area. Which cities should I pick? Puebla, Queretaro, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Zacatecas, or Morelia. How many days for each city? I love architecture, historic buildings, and beautiful scenery. I won't hire a car and will rely on bus and taxi.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Puebla
Puebla
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Queretaro
Queretaro
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Zacatecas
Zacatecas
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me pick colonial cities around Mexico City.

When you read about each of these possible Colonial city destinations, which ones seemed to most interest you, and why?

Pick the ones that meet your goals and interests.

4 days isn't much time, maybe pick two cities to visit in addition to Mexico City that aren't too far from one another.

Some "food for thought":

1. Mexico City > Tlaxcala (or Puebla) > Veracruz

2. Mexico City > Queretaro > Guanajuato (or San Miguel de Allende)

3. Mexico City > Morelia > Guanajuato (or San Miguel de Allende)

---------------

My photos from Mexico: http://tinyurl.com/7tt2s

Mentioned in this post
Tlaxcala
Tlaxcala
Puebla
Puebla
Veracruz
Veracruz
Queretaro
Queretaro
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Guanajuato, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Guanajuato
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me pick colonial cities around Mexico City.

Hi akikoakiko,

I agree that four days is not much time, so limit yourself to just one or two colonial cities.

Zacatecas is about ten hours or so from Mexico City, so you would spend much of one day traveling each way.

Guanajuato is about five hours from Mexico City and is close to both Querétaro and San Miguel de Allende.

I'm not sure how far Morelia is from Mexico City, but it is closer to Mexico City than Guanajuato. From Morelia, you could visit Patzcuaro and the surrounding area.

If you would like suggestions about Guanajuato, I'd be glad to help you as I've lived in the city for the past 5-plus years.

Have a great trip!

Cindi

Mentioned in this post
Zacatecas
Zacatecas
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me pick colonial cities around Mexico City.

I have been to all of these places and for "architecture, historic buildings", it is hard to beat Puebla. There are many churches and it is the culinary center of Mexico. (4 hours by bus)

My second choice would be Guanajuato which is a state capital, university town and surrounded by minig towns. (5 hours by bus)

Mentioned in this post
Puebla
Puebla
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me pick colonial cities around Mexico City.

If someone wants to witness/see grand Colonial architecture, there isn't a place in Mexico better to do that than Mexico City, IMO. Visiting Puebla will be lesser and much of the same experience - and the akiko has little time.

It might also be a stretch to describe Puebla as the culinary capital of Mexico. I can understand someone from there and proud of the city/state to say that, but not all that many people from outside the state will share that particular endorsement. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Puebla
Puebla
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me pick colonial cities around Mexico City.

Thank you everyone for your comment. I now narrow my choices to 1)Puebla, 2)Guanajuato (with a day trip to SMA), and 3)Morelia (with a day trip to Patzcuaro). However, I still can't make my decision. They all are beautiful cities. I'd like to visit all of them but sadly I don't have enough time.

I still open for more comments. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Puebla
Puebla
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me pick colonial cities around Mexico City.

If I had your choices, I would pick Puebla with time for nearby Tlaxcala which has smaller town charm. Puebla offers you colonial style, an impressive cathedral, the Cholula and Cacaaxlta pyramid zones nearby. It is also filled with history (Victory over France on May 5). It is also a big city with interesting crafts (known for talavera) and food (mole is from Puebla.) The culture is terrific. There are easy trips nearby to Atlixco where you get a great view of the volcano too

I like San Miguel de Allende but there are too many tourists for my taste. Nearby, you have Pozos (used to be a ghost town - may become one again as the Yuppies who started to develop it probably lost their jobs in this recession). Guanajuato is very nice and interesting and nearby areas are interesting but Puebla is still my preference. Lots of people get married in San Miguel de Allende so maybe someday one of your friends will do that and invite you to their wedding. I do not go there unless I am attending a wedding and that happens at least once per year.

Morelia is further out there and its centro is compact. It has lovely hotels and Patzcuaro is nice but I do not see any reason to return. I would rank it third. It is a lovely state but more interesting to see the countryside and towns and not as "user friendly" in my mind.

Mentioned in this post
Puebla
Puebla
Tlaxcala
Tlaxcala
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me pick colonial cities around Mexico City.

You might also consider consider travelling to Puebla (2 hours by first-class bus) with side trips to Tlaxcala and Cholula, then Oaxaca (about 5 hours from Puebla by bus) then back to Mexico City (about 6 hours from Oaxaca by bus). All have quantities of Colonial buildings in different styles, as well as outstanding handicrafts and food. If you find enough to see in the Puebla area, you could just give up on the Oaxaca portion of the trip and save it for some other time.

Mentioned in this post
Puebla
Puebla
Tlaxcala
Tlaxcala
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Southern Mexico, Mexico
8. Re: Help me pick colonial cities around Mexico City.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 19:17