We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerta Alameda Condos

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Puerta Alameda Condos

Hi all;

My wife and I are looking at renting a place for the first week of August. Does anyone have any information / recent experience with Puerta Alameda Condominiums in the historic district? Pictures look great, a few very good reviews, a little pricey is all I have gathered so far from the ad.

Thank you for your help.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerta Alameda Condos

Never heard of the building. Do you have a link to a website where more information is available for viewing? Generally, if you've never been to Mexico City before and aren't familiar with such surroundings - often not advisable not to wander about after dark in many parts of that zone - it might be better to find another part of the city to stay at. But, each of us travels a bit differently. Send a link to the ad for us to look at. Thanks.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerta Alameda Condos

Here is the link:

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p177647

Thanks for looking at it.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerta Alameda Condos

The building is almost next door to the Sheraton Centro and is being sold as luxury condos. There is good parking, a pool and gym. FOr a tourist, location is not bad and near other major hotels. Good museums and the Zocalo all in walking distance. Night time is not the best in this area. The architecture is unique and building is kept well as they are still selling apartmemts. Apartments were of limited success as they were "new" for this market - they are smaller than we find here normally (most DF apartments are 2 or 3 bedrooms for families, this building has studios and one bedrooms - limited yuppies here), neighborhood needs gentrification (lacks dry cleaner, supermarket, etc.), expensive for the area, bad earthquake zone, traffic when there are protest marches. However, builidng is well done and will be a good one for you to stay at. It is a well known building - taxi drivers will find it right away.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerta Alameda Condos

Thank you so much for this information. I'm also looking at a place across street from Chapultepec park. How does that neighborhood compare to this one?

Thank you.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerta Alameda Condos

Assume across from Chapultepec Park is the Polanco or Nuevo Anzures neighborhood - much better option - more to do around there, easier to walk around.

Mentioned in this post
Chapultepec Park
Chapultepec Park
1,556 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerta Alameda Condos

If this were me, and the daily price of the condo fit with my budget . . . I'd take the Puerta Alameda Condo over a place in Polanco or Anzures.

7. Re: Puerta Alameda Condos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 February 2009, 22:08
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerta Alameda Condos

You could tell how old we are from our question?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerta Alameda Condos

We stayed 4 days in the Puerta Alameda condominium and highly recommend it. The owners are friendly and efficient. They own at least 2 units. The building is very well-maintained and extremely secure (there are several security people at every entrance). When we checked out, the gentlemen even made a point to record our driver's name and license plate. Inside the building, there is a laundry service (in case one is too lazy to use the washing machine in the apartment), several lounges, a private screening room and a gourmet mini-mart that sells upscale food and Illy espresso! On the south corner of the building, there is a bank with an ATM. From the south exit, we could cross the street to visit the Folk Art museum or go a few blocks further and shop at La Ciudadela (the artisans' market). From the main exit, we went around the corner to the Sheraton to eat at El Cardenal or call hotel taxis. In the early evening, we walked over to Av Juarez and strolled in the Alameda Park. The building also has a parking garage which is probably also well-maintained and secure.

We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit on the 7th floor. I loved the shower! It was spacious enough to fit 4 people (I'm just guessing) and so clean. The bed was comfortable and the owners provided a sofa bed and air mattress for extra guests.

We stayed a few days in an expensive hotel in Polanco and dined in the upscale restaurants there so we really had a chance to compare Polanco to Centro Historico. In the end, we enjoyed exploring the historical district, walking to the Zocalo (by accident!), seeing/smelling the Ideale bakery, stumbling into the churro shop and eating tacos al pastor on the curbside. Staying at the Puerta Alameda allowed us to do all this - get involved in the hustle and bustle of old Mexico City - and then retreat to our quiet oasis.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerta Alameda Condos

By the way, the Puerta Alameda complex is very large and there must be many units available for rent. We found ours through VRBO. The owners who I mentioned in my review are the Corona sisters. One of them, Gloria, is based in Chicago. Before our trip, she phoned me several times to give me information and help me with my plans. We can hardly wait to visit again and stay at her apt.