We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Level Contributor
82 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Prices

How expensive is Mexico City? I want to spend one week there in April - just enjoying the city buzz and practicing my aweful Spanish. If I want a mix of local fare at local places, as well as occassional dinners at fancier places, what will it cost me? How about local, non-chain hotels? How about taxies . . what does it cost to take a taxie 10 blocks? I would appreicate any advise! Thanks!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices

Mexico City is not expensive at all. It's one of the cheapest "big cities" that I've visited.

You can get a filling and healthy dinner for as little as $4 from a local-style takeout place. Midrange restaurants cost about the same as in the US.

Decent hotels are available for around $30-$50/night. Browse the hotel reviews on this site for more exact prices.

Instead of taking taxis, you will probably use the metro to go most places in Mexico City. Metro tickets are around 20 cents each (it's the cheapest subway in the world.)

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices

I agree with the above comments characterizing Mexico City is one of the least expensive of the major world centers. Good budget hotels start in the MX$180 price range - less than US$15. Food prices are reasonable, in the lower to mid-ranges, but expect to pay U.S. equivalent (big city) prices in the finer restaurants. Public transportation is good in the city, and I don't often use taxi's - I prefer walking, taking the Metro and using the extensive and plentiful system of local "micro" and other busses. A good guidebook to the city - such as that publshed by Moon or Lonely Planet - will be a valuable resource. There is also a wealth of free information available here on TA when you click on the left-side columns on this page. April is a good time to visit the city - beause it's the month before the 5-month rainy season starts.

-----------

My photos of Mexico City, and of elsewhere in Mexico: http://tinyurl.com/7tt2s

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Level Contributor
82 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices

Thanks for the info! I assume the metro is a reasonably safe mode of transport during the day? One more question. . . . . any suggestions for safety at night. Should I just not plan on going out at all, or can I get around by taxi. I would love to enjoy Mexico City's night life if possible. . . . Thanks!

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices

You can go out, man. Just make sure you don't get drunk, don't wander around and arrange your taxi back to your hotel before hitting the club.

Local places are cheap, true, but fancier places are similar to what you might find in similar places in the US. High end is always high end, I guess.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices

The metro is reasonably safe during the day, if you're not hanging out in bad areas of town that you have no business visiting anyway. If you are a foreign woman with blond hair traveling alone, you may be harassed by some of the men. There are major problems with pickpockets, but they'll ignore you if your valuables are obviously secure.

Most of the neighborhoods that have cheap hotels (such as the Centro Historico) will not be a safe place to go out at night, but it is very easy to hire a hotel car, which will help you find the kind of place you're looking for, and pick you up afterward.

Sulphur Springs...
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices

I've been to Mexico City the last 2 Septembers and I am going again in April. I traveled the Metro frequently. It is Cheap and safe to use during daylight hours. I recommend Hotel Catedral. They have a web site and is located in the Centro Historico.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
972 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices

In addition, entrance fees to sites are very inexpensive never more than $5.00 and most are under $2.00. Have a great time!

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Level Contributor
82 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices

Thank you all again for the great info!

So, I have some more questions about location.

Where is the best location to stay if I want to have the best access to the historical and cultural centers in Mexico City? I do not care about shopping or fancy eating - and I want to get a real feel for the culture and history of the place. Is there a specific area or neighborhood that I should look at?

Does anyone have suggestios for the name of a hotel? Above, someone suggested Hotel Catedral -it looks very nice - but a little big and fancy for my liking. The price is right and its obviously very nice - but I would prefer to go for something a lot more low-key. I don't care at all about amenities. As long as its relatively clean and not dangerous. I just want it to be in a good, central location.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prices

The Centro Historico district is not where most of what there is to see/do in the city is situated. Things are a bit more spread-out in the city.

Here's a list of hotels, in no order of preference, I think you might consider:

Hotel Marlowe

Hotel Segovia Regency

Hotel Compostela

Hotel Del Principado

Hotel Hidalgo

Hotel Lafayette

Hotel Milan

Hotel Regente

In addition to using the hotel listing resource elsewhere here on TA, have a look at the "All Hotels Mexico" website, which I find to be an excellent resource also:

www.allmexicohotels.com/hoteles-mexico.php…

---------

My photos of Mexico City, and of other interesting destinations in Mexico: http://tinyurl.com/7tt2s

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
130 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prices

Agree with all of the above. I'd add that you might want to try one of the hotel consolidators to get a bit more choice and better price than All Mexico Hotels. You could also try some hostel booking sites, as quite a few have private rooms as well as dorms, if you want something less grand than a place like the Catedral (which is a very nice proper hotel but not overly fancy). You could try:

HotelsCombined.com

Hostels.com

HostelBookers.com

A nice smallish hotel in a quiet location is the Casa de la Condesa on Plaza Luis Cabrera in Roma Sur. It's close to Av. Alvaro Obregon and reasonably close to the Zona Rosa, Condesa, etc. which offer more night life and entertainment options than the Centro Historico.