We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe

Sulphur Springs...
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe

How safe is the area of the Basilica? Could a low key gringo walk safely from Metro La Villa-Basilica to the Basilica and back?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe

In the daytime, yes, but I would not aimlessly wander around the neighborhood there. It's not really a nice part of town.

It's unlikely that you would attract unwanted attention on weekends, although the street is jammed with tourists and vendors and it is sometimes difficult to walk.

The place is half-deserted on weekday afternoons, and you would stand out quite a bit more then.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe

I agree with the advice already given. I make the trip to the Basilica a couple times yearly, and it's most often done by walking from the La Villa Metro station, where I've arrived either by microbus or Metro. Busses going down Paseo de la Reforma in the city have as one of their end points the La Villa Metro station (it's often more convenient to take a bus than the Metro, depending upon where you're starting the journey).

----------

My photos of the Basilica de Guadalupe:

travel.webshots.com/album/498598489ecmzBy

Sulphur Springs...
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe

I have seen those micro buses around. How do you ride them?How can you tell which to choose? Is it difficult for a non Spanish speaker? I appreciate any help I get. Thanks.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe

The busses moving N along Paseo de la Reforma will have a sign in the window listing, among other significant stops - "La Villa." They all end their trip at La Villa when traveling in that direction. Just walk to any corner along the Paseo and stick your arm out and a small bus will stop. There are formal bus stops for larger - city-owned - busses that also go to La Villa, and are marked as such. There's no need to speak Spanish. Hand the driver a MX$5 peso coin and wait for the change - after you tell him her "La Villa." When the bus reaches it's final destination you'll know it. If you're confused about which direction to walk, simply approach someone standing around and ask "La Basilica"? and they'll point you to where you have to walk.

Sulphur Springs...
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe

Thank you all very much. I am gpoing to DF in April 9-13. I wll be adventurous and try the bus for a new experience. I really do like the subway. Not scary after the first time. Is there any significant events happening in April? Thanks. Lewis

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe

You are here for Semana Santa when Mexican businesses closes down (basically from midday Wednesday, April 8 and reopen the day after Easter on Monday, April 13. I am going to be in town this year due to a work matter but it is a common vacation time. This will be the first time in a decade I will be in town that week. Some restaurants and sights will be closed but traffic will be lighter than normal. Of course, the Basilica will be jammed for Easter.

Sulphur Springs...
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe

Do you ride the buses along Insurgentes Sur the same way as to the Basilica stop? It looks on the map as if it runs near Parque Espana in Condesa. How would I know where to get off? It looks like its at least one street over.I was thinking of going to Condesa that way.Any suggestions will be appreciated. Lewis

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe

Hi Xonid1,

The buses on Insurgentes are different. A couple years ago, the government built the Metrobus system, which is a Bus Rapid Transit system (like a cross between a bus and a subway.)

The Metrobus on Insurgentes runs in the median and it only stops at the bus stations in the middle of the street (which are like subway platforms). Stations have names and pictures like they do on the subway. This makes it very easy to navigate the Metrobus, because you only have to watch for your stop.

You need a rechargeable plastic card to ride, which can be purchased at the bus stop.

There are two Metrobus lines -- one runs up and down Insurgentes (very useful) and the other runs east and west near Xola (of limited utility to tourists).

The route map can be found here. www.metrobus.df.gob.mx/CorredoresL1L2.pdf The station names correspond to the names of nearby metro stations, cross streets, or landmarks.

Unlike the microbuses, I would recommend the Metrobus to first-time visitors to the city. The only precaution I would take is to stay near the window, because the buses get very crowded and it's easy to lose track of which stop you're at.

9. Re: Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 12:32