We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Mexico City during Semana Santa

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
63 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Mexico City during Semana Santa

Hi tripadvisors,

A group of friends and I are traveling to Mexico City this week, and plan to tour some of the well-know point of interest between Thursday and Sunday. Our main concern is whether these places will be close to visitors, or on the other hand, too crowded.

The main places we plan to visit are (in no specific order yet): Zocalo/Centro Historico, Basilica de Guadalupe, Teotihuacan, Museo de Antropologia/Chapultepec Park.

What do the Mexico City experts think the itinerary should be (based on the concern listed above)?

Thanks a lot for you valuable advice!

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Mexico City during Semana Santa

I guess the only place you might find "crowded" will be the Basilica because of the Holly Week Liturgy (Thursday and Friday). Saturday will be a good time to enjoy the "Burn of Judas"which is an ancestral tradition at the Zocalo. Remember, if you want to enjoy the Anthropology Museum half a day is the idoneous amount of time.

Enjoy the City!

M

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Mexico City during Semana Santa

The places you list should be fine and open. It has been hotter than normal so expect more people in the park. While the city empties out for Semana Santa, those who cannot get away for one reason or the other stick around.

There will be bad water shortages due to maintenance work on the main water supply (they are turning off the main valve) and hopes to save.

It will be great to be in town with no traffic at least.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Mexico City during Semana Santa

I went to Mexico City for the same holiday last year. Be aware that most money exchange places and banks are closed that Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun. Change your money in the airport or accept the lower exchange rate at your hotel or when you buy things. Bring lots of US $1 and make sure your other bills (5, 10, & 20) are crisp and fresh to make it easier to shop, dine, etc.

Coyoacan was packed with Mexican tourists from the coastal areas. The locals of the city were gone, however, and the town was practically empty. There was no traffic and riding the subway was a breeze as there were no regular folks in town riding it. I spent time in the Zocalo/Centro Historico and walked around all over. There are some amazing musuems there!!! I also made it to the entrance of the Chapultepec Park, but was too tired and out of time to enjoy the Museo de Antropologia. So, I'm returning to see that stuff in May this year.

Hope this info helps!

Buon viaje!

4. Re: Touring Mexico City during Semana Santa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 19:26