We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer through mexico city. do I need a mask?

Sacramento
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer through mexico city. do I need a mask?

I'm leaving on Saturday for Cancun and we have a layover in Mexico City. I will be traveling with my kids and wondering if people are still wearing masks to protect against Swine Flu? I want to be prepared, but not paranoid.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer through mexico city. do I need a mask?

I was there over 4 weeks ago and there were very few masks in evidence. I am going later today and I suspect there will be none at all. Basically the swine flu has all but disappeared from Mexico now. If you do not wear masks in Sacramento where the flu is still prevalent then there is no need to wear one in Mexico.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer through mexico city. do I need a mask?

I've decided that whenever I have to travel anywhere by airplane or closed-window vehicle (like a tour bus), I will bring a mask. You might not need it for your layover in Mexico City, but who knows if someone might be ill on the airplane FROM Sacramento to Cancun? I don't mean to alarm you but I find too often that, on every plane, there is always at least one traveler who doesn't know better or doesn't care about other people. I was on an international flight recently that had to make an emergency landing in Japan. Before we took off, someone had vomited all over the washroom. That person didn't notify the flight attendant (they probably didn't want to be kicked off the plane). It turned out that they had had a stroke (thus, the vomit). The person could have died in mid-air. They jeopardized their own life and if they had been contagious, the other passengers could have become very ill too.

By the way, I'll be going to Mexico City in 2 weeks with my child. Like you, I want to be prepared but not paranoid.

Colorado
Level Contributor
366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer through mexico city. do I need a mask?

My doctor said the mask is a great way to prevent yourself from transmitting your own germs to others but not very effective at protecting you against outside germs. So when my child and I travel next week we are skipping the masks. We will wash our hands more often and we always (even before swine flu) bring a couple of Emergen-C packets to mix with water on the plane.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer through mexico city. do I need a mask?

While common in May, face masks are pretty rare now and you no longer see them.

Physically challenged people will meet your flight and hand you a survey to fill out on flu symptoms which you will have to fill out and turn in before going to Immigration so have a pen handy. It is a bilingual form and very basic.

Swine flu is not common in Mexico anymore but of course a pandemic now in the Southern part of the world and impacting the U.S. and Europe too.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer through mexico city. do I need a mask?

I was in Mexico City airport this morning and no-one had a mask. They check people's temperature before checking in but that takes no more than 10 seconds. I have no idea what they do for arriving passengers. No-one was wearing a mask when I landed in Miami either!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,040 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer through mexico city. do I need a mask?

Doctors in the UK have been telling people that masks are close to useless as protection and may indeed have the opposite effect to what's intended, by lulling people into a false sense of security.

Leaving the country 10 days ago, I was screened by a heat sensitive camera. However, H1N1 is no longer a Mexico problem but a global pandemic.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer through mexico city. do I need a mask?

Susanota and London are correct.

Masks are good to prevent your stuff from reaching others, but virtually useless as virus filters to protect you.

M (MD: NBME; ABIM; ABNM; ABR w/spec comp NR)

PS kind of like the Egyptians and Asians killing all the Pigs recently - i.e. MINDLESS!!!

8. Re: Transfer through mexico city. do I need a mask?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2009, 05:43