We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Eve

I'm heading to Mexico for the first time on 30 December but don't land until late. I'm trying to work out whether to stay a few days or to leave on 30th/31st Dec and see the sights at the end of my trip (end of Jan) when I return for my international flight.

Is it worth staying in the city for New Year's Eve?

I've read that most people leave the city over the holidays but will anything be open if I stay? Or can anyone recommend hotels that hold celebrations?

And if I move on, will Oaxaca be any livelier?

Thanks

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve

New Year's Eve is more of a family time in Mexico City. People gather with family and friends, eat grapes at midnight and often go to church. It is not New York Times Square. In addition, lots of places will close for the holiday week.

I would say Oaxaca would be more festive (Mexicans vacation that week as well) and is also more compact and thus easier to find where to be.

Returning in late January will be nice to see Mexico City - chilly weather but heavy winds at that time of the year sometimes result in the bluest clear skies you will find all year long.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve

It's true that for many people is a family thing, but youngsters prefer to go out after having dinner with the family. Also, most good bars will have a dinner/party going on. Nothing special, though.

Acapulco is a big party on New Year's eve.

3. Re: New Year's Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2010, 07:17