We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico City Metro

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico City Metro

Hello,

Just wondering what peoples opinions of the Mexico City Metro are?

How safe is it?

How easy is it to use?

Personal experience please!

Ive used the London Underground, as well as the Paris and Rome Metros at all hours of the day and night carrying backpacks and have had reletivily no problems at all navigating the system and almost no problems with theft or other dangers...in fact it was easier and safer than most people had led me to beleive.

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico City Metro

Mexico City's Metro was designed in the same style of the Paris' Metro. No oversized backpacks or luggage allowed. Long connection walks at some transfer stations. At peak hours some lines separate men from women and children. In my opinion very safe (just watch your pockets)

www.metro.df.gob.mx/red

M

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico City Metro

It's safe and easy to use, but the network is not that extensive and one often has to resort to the microbuses, which are slow and terrible.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico City Metro

It seems plausible that there would be violent crime on the Metro (considering the sketchy neighborhoods that it passes through), but I have never even heard of any tourist being harmed on the Metro -- not even any rumors.

However, for tourists (and other foreign-looking people), pickpocketing and bag-snatching are a problem. Before riding the metro, you should always ensure that your valuables cannot easily be accessed. The cars get extremely crowded, and unlike in London and Paris, there are few foreigners and it is very easy to identify who the foreigners are.

Regarding riding the Metro at "all hours of the day and night" -- rather than worrying about the Metro, I would worry about what will happen once you get off and walk to your destination, as few of the metro stops are in places where I would want to walk late at night. In Mexico City, people who can afford it will typically take taxis back to their residences after a night out.

The Metro is very easy to use if you have a map -- far easier than the Paris system. You should bring your own map, because not all stations and cars have maps, and I have occasionally encountered one that is out of date.

One advantage of the Mexico City metro is that it's a great value at 25 cents a ride -- unlike the scam that they call the London Underground (for the price of traveling just ONE STOP on the tube, you could ride the Mexico City metro 72 times -- need I say more?)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico City Metro

Correction: Riding one stop on the Tube costs more than riding the Mexico City Metro 43 times, not 72 times. jcs27 apologizes to all Londoners for the error.

Sulphur Springs...
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico City Metro

Hello,

I have been to Mexico City 3 times and I am a big fan of the Metro. I have never ridden it at night and I always ride after rush hour which is about the same hours as the US. Be assured you may be the only Gringo on the train. The first time I rode the people just stared for a moment as if they had seen a ghost. I hope you're comfortable in your skin.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,009 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico City Metro

I know we are going off topic here, but no one in London pays for individual rides on the tube. It´s considerably less with an Oyster card or travel card! But yes, it´s way more expensive than the metro, but then Londoners earn way more than most Chilangos!

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexico City Metro

The London Metro, like the New York subway and Paris Metro, is more universal. Everyone takes it everyplace allthe time. In Mexico City, it is frowned upon by anyone about the bottom rung of the working class. That is why we have such horrific traffic. It is silly. I like to take the Metro when I am away but would never take it in Mexico City.

As another poster noted, the problem is it does ot reach everyplace. If was to take it home from work this evening, it would be a short ride on the Metro and then two buses so 90 minutes -- versus a 15 minute drive.

8. Re: Mexico City Metro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2010, 05:20