We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to tip?

Miami
Level Contributor
72 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
How much to tip?

I'm flying into Mexico City tomorrow. How much is customary to tip in restaurants, etc.? Also, how much should I tip the taxi driver from the airport to the hotel in Centro Historico?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to tip?

I only tip cabbies if they do something extra. Restaurants, bellhops etc I tip basically like I do at home. i start at 15% going up or down depending on service. Now the one exception to this when eating in Mercados or lower end cafés. These are so cheap (like $3 dinners) I tip more like 30% in these. Mexicans in general tip about 10% if at all so waiters like is gringos.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much to tip?

Tip waiters 15%. Tip fast food delivery people the same.}

Taxi drivers you pay in cash, you can just round the fare up. Airport drivers do not get a tip. You buy a ticket first based on your destination and turn over the ticket to your driver. If he is particularly helpful or nice (ie carries a number of bags, etc.), then give him 20 pesos.

Tip gasoline attendants 5 to 10 pesos each time you fill your tank.

Tip people who watch cars while they are parked or people who help driver back up, etc between 5 and 10 pesos each time they are used.

Miami
Level Contributor
72 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much to tip?

Thank you so much for the info!

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much to tip?

Also if you go to the grocery- tip the bag boy/girl a few pesos and if anyone helps you with your bags, etc. Also people who direct traffic in parking lots and valets I tip 5-10 pesos seriously depending on the change in my purse!

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much to tip?

I tip 20% to waiters (the norm is 10%), but I don't tip people directing traffic or watching cars. That's not a job, and they're giving a service you didn't ask for. They just sit in an area and decide they're the owners and you have to pay them to use it to park.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much to tip?

10% is what most non-Americans (and non-Canadians) tip in restaurants. Mexicans will tip 10%. If you are in a resort area mostly frequented by Americans then 15-20% is expected.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much to tip?

JulianM: Do you ever worry that the "car watchers" will vandalize your car if you don't pay them?

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much to tip?

Yes, if I go to the same place often i have to 'tip' them, otherwise I tell them I'll pay them when I get back, and when I do I argu that I don't have change with me and just leave. It's not easy, though, you have to estimte the risk.

In any case, that is not a tip, it's plain extorsion.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much to tip?

Most restaurants here will bring the credit card terminal to the table and run your card. You tell the waiter how much (fixed amount or percent) to add in as a tip or he may hand it to you to enter this sum yourself. If you say 15%, you cover the wine which is always overpriced here and does not need to be tipped at the same rate and thus do 20% or more of food in the end.

I once went to lunch with friends who told the waier to add 10% and he gave them such an evil look. They are the types who are usually self-important and over demanding as well and it was kind of annoying at lunch as well. I was mortified. I refuse all lunches with them now. I do not like people who abuse and underpay the help. I also prefer to pay than accept an invitation under such circumstanecs..

The comment on baggers in the supermarket is important - they do not get salaries.

I tip car watchers, etc. as they are doing something more honorable to earn a living than stealing.

10. Re: How much to tip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2010, 05:18