We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merced Market

Sulphur Springs...
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Merced Market

I've heard that the area around the Merced Market is a high crime area with prostitution winked at by the Police. My sister and I will be there in September should we avoid that area? Frommers makes it sound Okay.Thanks.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Merced Market

Its a market, lots of people and activity. Somebody enlighten me here but as far as I can see prostitution is quasi-legal in MX, in certain places. You can ID the hookers, MF&TV in that kinda zone, they are the people in short skirts and high platforms hanging by the wall next to the 1 hr hotel.

Go during the day- morning-noon-ish; leave all your fancy stuff at the hotel, take 1 camera per person....you will eat really good food and see tons of veggies, fruits, folklore. I got a v cool daypak that has lasted 2 yrs for like $100 pesos over there.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merced Market

Yeah, prostitution is quasi-legal in certain areas (Sullivan and La Merced, for instance).

I'd personally avoid La Merced. As mentioned, you'll see lots of folklore, but you will also be in an area with high crime, prostitution (some underage), drugs and all the jazz. The area is also home "los chineros", who are people that will do some sort wrestling drill around your neck while another guy robs you. Chances are that you'll be OK and nothing will happen, but why take the risk of having your trip ruined? My reccomendation is not to go there.

Mentioned in this post
La Merced
La Merced
65 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merced Market

I'd also suggest getting a better guidebook. I've looked at the Frommers guide and I didn't think it was very good -- the ugliness of the Merced neighborhood is the type of thing that they would neglect to mention.

I recommend the Mexico City guidebook by Chris Humphrey -- it is extraordinarily comprehensive.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Sulphur Springs...
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Merced Market

Thanks folks. We'll pass on the Merced Market.Lewis

Sulphur Springs...
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Merced Market

Is there anything similar to Merced Market anywhere else? It doesn't have to be exact.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,325 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Merced Market

I had no problems there. There is a metro stop right in the market, so you dont have to walk around the surrounding neighborhood if you dont want to. I did walk to the nearby Sonora market...with lots of other women who were traveling the same route.

I carry around a digital SLR, but that trip, it was new and I only had 1 lens, so I carried it in a small case in a beat up daypack and only brought it out to shoot a couple of things in the market.

Finding the metro stop to leave was sort of hard - one entrance was closed but people were great about directing me to the other one. FInd landmarks if you go and go early before the entrances close.

I will be carrying my camera around in Puebla next week. Its in the case that doesnt look like a camera bag when not in use. I dont leave it around my neck... I have the camera, I use it. That's what insurance is for!

Mentioned in this post
Sonora Grill
Sonora Grill
896 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Puebla
Puebla
Puebla, Mexico
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Merced Market

The suggestion for a better guidebook is great but do you have a suggestion for a better market to visit?

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Merced Market

The Ciudadela market is a nice tourist friendly market with quality arts and crafts. The silver market on Londres in the Zona Rosa is also aimed at tourists and safe.

Mentioned in this post
Zona Rosa
Zona Rosa
536 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Pátzcuaro, Michoacán
Level Contributor
58 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Merced Market

Mercado San Juan, on Ernesto Pugibet, west of Eje Central Lazaro Cardenas, a block south of Calle Ayuntamiento. It's the mercado where the restaurant chefs buy fine provisions. It's not staggeringly huge, but it's interesting to foodies.

The food market should not be confused with the crafts market of the same name, on Auntamiento.

Google Map location:

http://tinyurl.com/yzphslb

The "B" pin is correctly located.

Saludos,

Don Cuevas

10. Re: Merced Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2010, 05:17