We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Premium Outlet Mall - Punta Nora... Directions?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
137 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Premium Outlet Mall - Punta Nora... Directions?

Is this Outlet as well priced and good selection as the ones in the US?

I want to get to the Outlet Mall, how far of a drive is it and how much would a taxi cost, or can I take the Metro northward and a bus? Or would it save time and money to take the Metro then a taxi?

I will be spending 3 nights each in:

Sheraton Maria Isabel by the Sevilla and Insergentes stations, then probably in the Centro area, likely around the Balderas and Saito del Agua stations, which one is easier to get to the Outlet Mall?

Outlet address is Northwest of Mexico City (State of Mexico) in the intersection of Periferico (Mexico 57) and the Chamapa La Venta highway.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Premium Outlet Mall - Punta Nora... Directions?

It is way out there on the highway that links Santa Fe/Toluca Highway and Perinorte. Unless you are visiting the convent of Tepotzolan or heading towards Queretaro you are unlikely to be anywhere near here. There is another outlet on the Toluca Highway before you get to the Toluca Airport.

With the exception of a Palacio de Hierre outlet, neither of them are worth the trip and if you know outlets in Europe or the U.S., these are nothing to spend time on.

Mexico City is not shopping paradise for things you normally buy in a department store. There is a 16% VAT and selections are limited.

Vancouver has better department store offerings and if that is not enough head to Seattle.

We in Mexico go to Houston, Miami, NY or LA to shop.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Premium Outlet Mall - Punta Nora... Directions?

It is located way beyond the subway so you'd have to get a cab. Without traffic it can be done in 30 minutes but may take 45 minutes to an hour as there's a lot of roadworks being done on the periferico. It wouldn't be more than 20 USD each way at the most (I would think more like 150-180 pesos so ask before you get in the cab). Double that if using a hotel taxi. I haven't been there although I drive past it frequently on the way to Querétaro. I would be very surprised if it's cheaper than the U.S. - usually things are more expensive in Mexico.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
137 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Premium Outlet Mall - Punta Nora... Directions?

Thanks a lot guys. I'm not expecting it to be better shopping than the US (was just at the Desert Hills Premium and Ontario Mills Outlet Malls), but was curious and for something to do if it's not too far away.

Would it save me much time (faster than driving) or money if I took the Metro north, say to El Rosario then took a cab? El Rosario looks to be where two Metro lines meet so I assume it is easy to grab a cab from there?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Premium Outlet Mall - Punta Nora... Directions?

It will take a lot longer by subway and won't save you that much. Incidentally you might want to consider Sante Fe shopping mall as an alternative. Lots of places to eat and a good variety of shops.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
137 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Premium Outlet Mall - Punta Nora... Directions?

Thanks. Sante Fe does peak my interest, though it looks like a regular mall, and I prefer a discounted Outlet like the Premium one in Punta Nora.

Sante looks to be about 5-6miles outside of the city, is it really 30-45min drive?! If I grabbed a taxi from Tacubaya station how much should I expect to pay?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Premium Outlet Mall - Punta Nora... Directions?

I've noticed that many of your plans involve taking a taxi to an outlying metro station and then picking up a cab at the station. You should consider that, although less common than in the past, this is one of the major situations where non-targeted kidnappings still occur.

A relative of one of my friends in Mexico City was kidnapped a few years ago in this very situation (taking the metro to an outer station, and then hailing a street cab.)

There are dozens (maybe hundreds?) of reputable cab companies in Mexico City, which will dispatch a cab to your location with a simple phone call.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
137 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Premium Outlet Mall - Punta Nora... Directions?

Thank you jcs27, the reason for my plan thus far is all the info I read says to take the Metro as it is easy to get around, cheap, and avoids the chaotic traffic, plus all the "don't take cabs, you'll be kidnapped" so I look to avoid the cabs. With limited to no Spanish I figure it is easier to use the Metro (at least most of the way) than try speaking with a cab driver. I am also used to taking public transportation in the various other cities I have visited: if this is not the best option in Mexico City please let me know... BUT, if the reason for me not to do something is for fear of kidnapping, as much as I appreciate one's opinion (which is why I am on TripAdvisor to be being with) it will fall on deaf ears.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Premium Outlet Mall - Punta Nora... Directions?

The hotel cabs are safe. Actually the main cabs are now so much better organized than previously that they are virtually 100% safe too - very few robberies compared to the old days. The metro is reasonably safe but you can easily get robbed there too - personally I would say a cab is safer especially at night. In any case, you can't get to Punta Nora (or Santa Fe) by metro so you might as well get a cab from your hotel and be done with it.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Premium Outlet Mall - Punta Nora... Directions?

Since you're in Vancouver I'd recommend driving to Seattle Premium Outlets (same group) in Tulalip, WA. You will find more variety, higher quality and better prices, especially now that CAD is strong versus USD.

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

I don't Mexican outlets are worth losing a day of tourism, to be honest.

10. Re: Premium Outlet Mall - Punta Nora... Directions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2010, 06:17