We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Searching for a budget hotel - 4 choices

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
126 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Searching for a budget hotel - 4 choices

Hi there

Just wanting to get suggestions on which would be the best out of these four budget hotels. Wanting to be possibly in the shopping or tourist area? I have NO idea!

* San Francisco Hotel Mexico City

* Imperial Reforma Hotel Mexico City

* Casa De La Condesa Hotel Mexico City

* Fontan Hotel

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Searching for a budget hotel - 4 choices

Imperial Reforma looks nice from the outside. It is on the other side of Refoma from the Embassy Suites which some people like. Location is OK between Zona Rosa and Centro - easy to get everyplace.

Casa de la Condesa if in the Condesa is in a good area for tourists for dining, walkng , shopping.

The Fontan has seen better days - stay away. I do not know wheere the San Francisco is. Sorry.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Searching for a budget hotel - 4 choices

Hotel San Francisco is in the Alameda Central.

Many (or all?) of the rooms have not been remodeled in a long time, but it's still comfortable. It's worth staying there if you get a really cheap price (like less than $40 US.) They may be doing construction on the hotel, or on the adjacent building.

There's nothing to do in the immediate neighborhood in the nighttime (and you won't find much high-end shopping in the daytime either), but the hotel is centrally located, in the sense that several tourist areas are within walking distance.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
53 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Searching for a budget hotel - 4 choices

I have stayed at La Casa de la Condesa. The location is phenomenal. Right across the street from a beautiful park. A two minute walk to great cafes, restaurants, bars, little shops, etc. Easy to get cabs, easy to get the the Metro. You're right in the heart of the Condesa, one of the best neighborhoods in the city.

Here's my warning to you though, they had the hardest bed I've ever slept on. I'm not a picky traveler, I'm not a fussy traveler. I sleep in tents sometimes when I travel. This bed was awful. Woke up ten times every night back and legs aching.

Otherwise, great hotel. Friendly staff, nice breakfast, big rooms, etc. But the bed . . . would not stay there again because of it.

I'd recommend staying in the Condesa neighborhood though for sure.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
130 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Searching for a budget hotel - 4 choices

I stayed at both the Fontan and Imperial Reforma in March, Fontan on arrival in country, the Imperial my last night. They were both fine, no complaints about either.

The Fontan is closer to the metro (Hidalgo station is a stone's throw away) and around the corner from the Alameda Central Park. Bellas Artes is on the other side of the park and the Zocalo not far from there.

The Imperial is a bit further down the Paseo De La Reforma, not as close to the metro or things generally but not terribly far either. It was the nicer of the two and I couldn't believe I got a room for $45 when I walked in. I wouldn't have a problem staying at either again.

5. Re: Searching for a budget hotel - 4 choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2010, 05:18