We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Mexico city

New York City, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visit to Mexico city

Hi All,

We are plannning to visit Mexico city for celebrating our 25th anniversary - and plan to stay around for a week. Can someone help with suggestions on places to visit and have a great time.

Also is a dinner at the Bellini for $104/person worth it?

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
6,272 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Mexico city

What are your interests and what constitutes a good time in your opinion? The reason I ask is that people have very different criteria when travelling.

Might I respectfully suggest you take a look at the left-hand column of this page and click on the Things to Do link. One of the articles there is aimed at first-time visitors and lists all the 'obvious' attractions. But Mexico City is a huge city with a long history, so you'll find more than enough to keep you busy whatever your interests. Also, when it comes to wining and dining, there are countless choices depending on taste and budget. Same for night life: rock and roll, classical concerts, latin music, you name it, Mexico City has it.

When exactly are you planning on coming? That too will have an impact: there are fewer cultural events in summer, but museums etc are open year round. (Most close on Mondays).

Bellini's is not a restaurant I have ever had any desire to patronise, since it seems overpriced and stuffy. But hopefully, one of our DF DEs will come up with a more informed opinion.

Take a look at one of the various city guides, published by the likes of Lonely Planet, Time Out. Though not infallible, they can give you an overview of the city's history and culture and help you to narrow down what you want to see, where to stay, eat, party etc.

Have a great anniversary trip, and feel free to come back with more questions.

New York City, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Mexico city

Thanks for the prompt reply.

We plan to visit April 28-May 4th and do want to look around Mexico city and surroundings.

Some questions I have are:

- how do we do the currency exchange - should we get the exchange done in the US or can we have this done there

- for visiting the surrounding places, can we do the arrangements after we land or should we book now via Orbitz ( Orbitz seems a bit pricy based on the comments on this blog)

- is it OK to travel with personal jewely (some is expensive) on (like rings and all, which we have hardly taken off)

Thanks for the suggestions !

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Mexico city

You can exchange money easily in Mexico at exchange houses, banks (best rate) or even at the hotel. Or you can use your ATM card to withdraw pesos.

You can also wait until you're in Mexico to make all the necessary arrangements for tours and trips.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
6,272 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Mexico city

Always use an ATM. You will get a better exchange rate. Besides, I believe Mexican banks no longer exchange dollars cash ( this is to do with money laundering laws). Some US banks charge a higher fee than others. You will find discussion of this in earlier threads if you use the search function. Bring more than one debit card if you can, just in case there is a computer glitch, plus a credit card for back-up. Make sure they have 4 digit PINs and tell your banks you are going to be in Mexico so they don't block the cards.

There is certainly no need to pre-book any tours. There is a HOHO bus service that many visitors enjoy. And your hotel will arrange a tour to Teotihuacan. You can also do the latter by public bus.

Getting around by metro is safe, but take the usual precautions you would in any big city.

Don't be too paranoid about your rings and things, just don't flash your jewellery around if you can help it.

If you stay in a nice area like Condesa or Polanco, you will find plenty of places to eat within walking distance of your hotel.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Mexico city

Bellini is the restaurant that rotates on the top of the World Trade Center in Mexico City. It is not that great at all and I do not recomend it. Nice for a drink before sun sets. You won't see much when it is dark anyway. For a better high view, while here for a week take the elevator to the top of the Torre Latinoamericana observation deck (it is a 120's builidng opposite Bellas Artes. Go in the day time. Mexico City is not a great night time view.

For a romantic dinner, which I guess you are trying to find for your annivesary, try Ivoire in Polanco, which has become very "in" as well in the past year. It is at Emilio Castelar 95 (on the commercial side of Parque Lincoln) with tel. + 52 55 5280 0477. You won't spend US$104 per person either and the food, drinks and wine will be better (unless you order too expensive a bottle of wine of course) as will the atmosphere and ambience.

Agree on ATM machines - just use machines inside shopping centers, etc. Cloning is a problem here. I was a victim at the Bancomer branch on Palmas and did not notice until $22,000 M.N. was taken over the course of a few days. The good news is the bank did investigate and in a month put the funds back in my account.

Tours can be set up here while you are here. Since you have time, it is well worth seeing the Museo Dolores Olmedo in Xochimilco - it is long taxi ride but unique. You can organize a South of the City trip that day and ride a trajinera (boat) in Xochimilco, have lunch at Ex Hacienda de Tlalpan and then visit Coyoacan's zocalo and the Casa Azul or Frida Kahlo house.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Mexico city

Speaking as a former mugging victim, don't take a chance--leave your nice jewelry at home. I don't feel unsafe in Mexico City, but I also make it a point to avoid looking too prosperous when I travel there.

If possible, use your ATM card in the hotel where you're staying.

My favorite restaurant (open only for lunch) is Contramar in Condesa. http://www.contramar.com.mx/ The tostadas de atun are delicious--as is everything else I've ever had there.

The Condesa DF hotel is very interesting architecturally and has a great rooftop bar.

Casa Lamm is also nice for lunch, dinner, or a drink.

The Museo de Arte Popular is my favorite museum. Of course, the anthropology museum is world famous and definitely somewhere you'd probably want to go.

The Frida Kahlo house and museum is very interesting. If you go on a Saturday, you can go to Bazar Sabado for shopping, which is in the same general area.

What are you interested in? Art, architecture, shopping, historical sites, eating, music, soccer, lucha libre, jogging down Reforma on a Sunday morning? There's lots to do, but not everything appeals to everyone.

7. Re: Visit to Mexico city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 April 2010, 14:05
8. Re: Visit to Mexico city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 07:24