We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking in Mexico City Airport

Which Mexico City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
276 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking in Mexico City Airport

we have a 2 1/2 layover in mexico city, on route to cancun. Is there a smoking area, or can we go outside. Flying down from Toronto on Mexicana, and then on to cancun on another flight but still Mexicana, terminal 1.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking in Mexico City Airport

I believe the entire building is now non-smoking. You would have to exit customs and go outside to smoke. You need to check with Mexicana whether you will have to go through customs anyway (which is a new rule but not being applied very often) rather than just immigration - if you do have to then you might as well have a smoke. Otherwise it's a lot of extra hassle.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking in Mexico City Airport

In Terminal 1, where Mexicana operates, there is construction going on so that arriving passengers will go in hallways directly to Immigration rather than mixing with departing passengers. Until that construction is done, you can still get away with no clearing immigration - but avoid checking bags - for international connectios.

No smoking indoors anymore in a lot of Mexico including the airport.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking in Mexico City Airport

"you can still get away with no clearing immigration - but avoid checking bags - for international connectios. "

Oh? And how do you do that?, whenever I arrive in Mexico City, be that terminal 1 or 2, there's always a corridor you have to go through that invariably leads to the immigration booths before going to customs. At least that's been my experience.

NOTE: I just saw your clarification for international connections. Sorry about that!

Edited: 27 April 2010, 01:00
4. Re: Smoking in Mexico City Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 05:16