We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Fe Area

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,582 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Fe Area

Some friends and I are going to Mexico City this weekend and are debating whether to stay in the Santa Fe area. I have stayed in Zona Rosa in the past, and liked that it seemed to be in the middle of the action. I'm aware of the relative safety issues, but did not have any real concern walking around Zona Rosa on the last trip.

We're intrigued by the Distrito Federal hotel in Santa Fe, and would like to work out a way to stay there. Is that area just going to be dead at night and on weekends? Will we be able to find bars and restaurants around, or will we need to take taxis to Zona Rosa and Condessa? Any insight on the merits of that neighborhood would be greatly appreciated.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Fe Area

You will need a car if you go to Santa Fe or you will find it a pain, but not impossible to deal with taxis. Distrito Federal is in a complex with a very popular Japanese plase (El Japones) and other restaurants. Its bar and pool area are popular. There are bars in the area near Centro de la Ciudad Santa Fe on Guillermo Gonzalez Camarena and bars behind that near the Accor owned hotel. Shu also has a very popular bar and that is in the same buiding as the Fiesta Americana Hotel. Just 5 minutes away you will find the Pantalon or Arcos Bosques mall which has two very hot bars - Hyde and Sens, as well as very popular restaurants such as Mexico's own Nobu and others. Cafe O is there too and overpriced but fun for drinks. There is a great cinema there too with VIP cinemas. It is where the pretty kids go on Friday and Saturday - the 14/15 year olds are always outside on the bridges smoking while body guards look on ofren holding the girl's purse. It is a sight worth seeing once at least.

There are taxi sitios everywhere and you can call and they come and they are efficient. It is a much nicer neighborhood than the Zona Rosa, bjut you get from point A to B in Santa Fe in a car.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,582 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Fe Area

Thanks, we'll definitely go for a visit, but I don't think we'll stay there.

We are throwing this trip together at the last minute, and I certainly appreciate your help. Basically, have about 24 hours to plan hotels and restaurants in Mexico City, find a hotel for one night in Taxco, and find a way to get to Taxco, oh and work a full time job, so I'm getting a bit stressed out.

Other than Habita and Condesa df are there any hip boutique hotels in the Condesa or Zona Rosa areas?

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Fe Area

Never been here but have heard of it - the problem with Condesa DF is you never sleep due to all the music.

http://www.thehippodromehotel.com/

I read about it in a recent in-flight magazine

In Polanco, you also have Habita, the first of the hip boutique hotels in Mexico..

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,582 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Fe Area

Thanks, Habita didn't have rooms, and my friend nixed the Hippodrome based on some bad reviews, so we're just going to book the Galeria Plaza at the Independence Angel. It doesn't exactly look hip, but we got a great rate on a club level room.

5. Re: Santa Fe Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 06:36